alternitive OS

disturbed13

Daemon Poster
Lets hear all of those Operating Systems that you know of, and links if you would
Im looking for a 3rd
Ill have windows and linux
But im trying to find another full featured Operating System
Lets try to avoid other linux distros
Thanks guys
Heres the ones that I know of

Sky OS
React OS
Then there is always making a hackintosh and seeing if I can get OS X on my rig
What else is out there?
Im really not a fan of the React OS
It looks tooooooo old
But im looking for others to be shown
Thanks guys :D

What do you describe as fully featured?

If you're looking for a good server OS, there's always Solaris - less community / driver support than a linux distribution (it's unix not linux) but it comes with the utterly fantastic ZFS, dtrace and is overall a very nice OS.

Projects like Sky OS / React OS are nice and technically very good in themselves, but I wouldn't really call them fully featured operating systems, sky os in particular seems to have stopped development. Whilst I'm all for trying them out and seeing what they're made of and what they can do, I wouldn't really advocate using them in a production environment.

hes starting to work on SkyOS again
hes trying to use the Linux Kernal
i just wish i could get OpenSolaris to run on my machine to try it out
are there any other OS's out there?

If you really want a challenge / something different - have a look at RMoX. It's only experimental, but it has two very special words to describe it: "process oriented." Not yet usable as a day to day OS, but very interesting stuff.

Why can't you get opensolaris going? If you struggle on that front then I highly doubt you'll be able to get anything more experimental up and running.

hes starting to work on SkyOS again
hes trying to use the Linux Kernal
It said a few months back that he was working on a proof of concept, but this was a few months back, there haven't been any updates since and even then things weren't definitely progressing.

Personally though I do wonder what the point of it is. It's not (yet) open source or free, it's old, pretty unsupported, development basically halted years ago and community support is nigh on non existent. From what I've seen, it doesn't really have any stand out features either. Linux is open source, free, has lots of community support, more fully featured and development is progressively very actively...

Windows 95:
Has been unsupported for 8 years. Its a dinosaur compared to Windows 7 hence the '95' :T

Windows 98:
Basically the same thing as Windows 95. x]

Windows 2000:
Also same thing as Windows 95 and 98 but a little different design.

Windows XP:
Pretty cool. Looks weird though. There is the new SP 3

Windows Vista: Just plain awful. They ripped it off Mac. Bill Gates sucks. >:eek: Why does he FORCE IE on us. :T

Ubuntu Linux: I have it for a 2nd OS (Vista being the other one). Its cool but hella hard to get a wireless network connection. :T

Red Hat: You gotta pay for it. And its complicated.

Back
Top Bottom