Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
Baseband Member
Default Admin Rights on Vista.

I have Vista Home Premium on my Laptop. I have a number of files that I am trying to delete and when I click delete it says that I need permission and gives a security picture. I then click to give it permission as I am the amdinistrator and it just says that I dont have permission. I even tried to disable the user account control and restart the laptop and this still didnt work. I dont want to have to format the laptop to get rid of these files. Also the files are not illegal, they are just videos from you tube. Can anyone help.

emmett8324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
Beta Member
Default Re: Admin Rights on Vista.

Ok... I *think* I can fix your problem. Right click on the file you want to delete, and click properties. It should bring up a new window with tabs. There should be a tab labled "Security". Click on that and it should display all the users in your computer. Select your use and click "Edit". Then, make sure that all the boxes under your user (admin) are checked and try again.

Hope I helped!

loljustplaying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
Daemon Poster
Send a message via AIM to netBooger Send a message via MSN to netBooger

Restart you computer and hit F8 before the operating system loads. This will bring you into the safe mode window. Choose to boot into safe mode, (give it a second while it loads) then once you are in safe mode delete the files.

More than likely the files are still being used by your operating system somehow. So if you can find what process is using those files and stop the process you might be able to delete them without booting into safe mode.
|| Cosmos 1000 || Asus Maximus Formula SE || Q6850 3.00GHz || Zalman 9700NT || BFG 8800GTX OC || 4GB Corsair Dominator 1066mhz || Enermax Galaxy 850W || Windows Vista Ultimate 64 || WD Raptor 150GB x2 + WD Caviar 350GB ||
netBooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
Fully Optimized
Send a message via AIM to drumthrasher Send a message via MSN to drumthrasher Send a message via Yahoo to drumthrasher

Disabling UAC should have kept the popups from popping up anymore...
Gateway GT4016 Desktop | CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ @ 2.2GHz | RAM: 2GB (4x512MB) | HDD: 1x200GB, 1x120GB | Video: ATI HD Radeon 4850 512MB | OS: Vista Home Premium x86 SP1, Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6
drumthrasher is offline   Reply With Quote