Adding RAM

Tonyosis

Baseband Member
I have an HP Pavillion that came with 6GB RAM DDR3 utilizing 3 of 4 slots. Many people suggested that my system would run faster if I install more RAM. So I did. I removed (1) 2GB DDR3, and in the 2 slots open (blue, side-by-side), I install (2) 4GB modules. Now I have 12GB total. So, where and how exactly would I noticeably experience this dramatic improvement in speed???? Anyone, I very much appreciate your help and knowledge.

The better question: what were you running that seemed slow? and how did they determine the bottleneck to be RAM?

Combination of varying video editing software, the older being Roxio, the newer being Cyberlink PowerDirector. Some gaming. Google Earth. Internet. The usual. I thought that with increased memory, my computer experiences would speed up. People's advise the more would be better included, but not limited to Geek Squad techs. Now with the increased memory, I'm not sure that I am seeing the difference. So what's the big hoopla about, and really just trying to understand why more memory is better, in general.

Speed is determined by 4 factors
1. Processor
2. Physical memory
3. Virtual memory
4. Hard Disk Capacity
The Best processor to go for is Intel I7 or above what processor are you running?
What is your Virtual memory set to?
You are running a 64bit already
The other common factors of slow speed are computer games run by flash player or internet games
And including social network sites these use a lot of internet temporary files and internet cache and java scripts make sure you keep your browser clean and hard disk.
Also make sure you have your Prefetch folder set correctly and remove any older versions.
This is located at C:\windows\ Prefetch
What version of 7 are you running?
Download cleaner and run that see what it finds first.
Help this helps
Kind Regards
Bradley

Whats the speed of the ram that was in there an what's the speed of the new stuff. An is it dual channel or single.

---------- Post added at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

Also did you check your Mobo accepts 4 gb per slot.

From 6GB to 12GB you will most probably not even notice a difference.

If you were upgrading from 512MB to 2GB then yes you'd notice the difference.

You already had more than enough.

I appreciate all of your comments.

I'm running a modest Windows 7 Pro on an AMD Phenom II quad-core 840T 2.90 GHz ... obviously 64-bit. No social networks, not into that. I use CCleaner and Eusing regularly. The system's capacity is 16GB, and have a 1TB HD.

Having heard often that one should always install memory in pairs for better performance, I found it kind of odd that I bought this machine with 6GB (3 modules in 4 slots). Instead of buying an additional 2GB to pair everything up evenly, I was faced with spending only a tiny bit more to get a pair of 4GB, so I went for it.

I would still like to know the one more important question. Where and how would you see improved performance with more RAM?????

From 6GB to 12GB you will most probably not even notice a difference.

If you were upgrading from 512MB to 2GB then yes you'd notice the difference.

You already had more than enough.

This is exactly right ^

First, you never mentioned what operating system you're using??? I don't know how anyone could possibly advise you without knowing that.

If you're running a 32bit OS such as Vista or Win7, the machine cannot process more than 3.3GB of RAM anyway, so you computer came with more than it could use. RAM is cheap, so it's good marketing.

If you're running a 64bit OS, and your computer usage is like most folks, you'll never utilize more than 4.5GB of memory during any session, even intensive gaming. Bottom line is, who ever told you that you needed more memory was not very well informed.

First, you never mentioned what operating system you're using??? I don't know how anyone could possibly advise you without knowing that.

OP said he had 6GB of RAM. It is safe to assume that it's a 64 bit OS. Especially if it came from an OEM.

Back
Top Bottom