About to Choose. Win XP or Vista?

Relmiw

Baseband Member
i am about to order a computer for mostly playing world of warcraft. it comes to $960 and comes with, among other things

a intel quad processor
2 gigs of ram
256 MB Video card
22' flat screen
dvd burner
250 gig HD
2 year warrenty

it also gives me the option of choosing windows xp or windows vista premium.

from what i heard they tried to push vista on everyone but a lot of people and some very big companies complained because it wasn't working right and now they've let people choose xp again.
reportedly vista is the future and i would have to get it eventually, but which works better now? what are some cool vista tricks which xp doesn't have? how long will it likely be until i have to switch?

i've also heard vista premium cannot handle more than 3 gigs of RAM, so i would have to switch operating systems in a couple years anyway to upgrade that right? would it be good to just switch from xp to vista then?
______

Here is something to think about between the two. First the computer will be able to handle vista without a problem, but does all the software, and hardware(ie printers, scanners) that you have is it supported by vista?

You want to know how long you will have before you will have to make the change to vista, right now you are looking at about 3-4 years comfortably before you have to make the change.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Assuming you have a compatible printer and all that which wmorri mentioned, I would go with Vista. It makes my life so much easier I will never willingly go back to XP.

i swear by xp, i brought and installed vista only to get rid of it 5 mins later and never used it again i totally hate vista so id say xp all the way

I'd say get xp since its a prebuilt, its gona come with bloatware. Vista = great OS, but vista + bloatware = snailish.

Assuming you have a compatible printer and all that which wmorri mentioned, I would go with Vista. It makes my life so much easier I will never willingly go back to XP.

i still prefer XP, but i kind of like the almost instant connections to new hardware, no more manual setups is kind of nice lolz.

Get XP Pro with service pack 2. I've been running it since my first build and I turn the updates off.

With no probs.

My brother has vista and he's had trouble.

I'd say get xp since its a prebuilt, its gona come with bloatware. Vista = great OS, but vista + bloatware = snailish.

True to a point. Only thing I would correct you with is ANY OS + bloatware = snailish.

Get XP Pro with service pack 2. I've been running it since my first build and I turn the updates off.

With no probs.

My brother has vista and he's had trouble.

Why updates off?

if it can handle vista then get it.
my laptop cant handle it as smooth as xp, so i switched back

The people complaining about Vista don't seem to have it longer then 5 minutes by the descriptions there. Here I dual booted the RC1 release followed by the retail release when that was first out to end up seeing a triple boot of both Pro and Home versions of XP along with Vista.

Vista is now the default version of Windows with ubuntu 7.10 being the default OS at the moment to see a triple boot with XP. Grub loads the Vista boot loader seeing XP as an option.

Vista sees a more stable version over XP as far as crash control especially if a game sees a lock you can still recover the desktop through the task manager. When a program locks in XP that means hard or cold boot time with the reset button.

More memory? That being the biggest complaint is from those who never had any experience with the older 9X versions of Windows. XP was the big memory hog over 98! 128mb to 98's 16mb minimum recommendation? That was about 7 times more memory there over the 4 times amount for Vista at 512mb!

Back
Top Bottom