Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-22-2011, 12:18 AM   #21
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 97
Default

I'd like to add

Avira - Antivir
Free antivirus

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)
Free antivirus by microsoft

Mozilla - Firefox
free web browser. The best in my opinion

Sandboxie
Allows you to "Sandbox" your browser. Kinda like a anti-virus or fire-wall but vastly increases security from malware.

Hope this helps!
__________________

__________________
Old School PC Services
http://www.OldSchoolPC.net
support@oldschoolpc.net
OldSchoolPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:56 AM   #22
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team
 
iPwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3,870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorlon View Post
I'm not trying to be mean but, Microsoft Owns piriform. Lol
Really? Why is Piriform registered through GoDaddy.com then? Why aren't they listed on Microsoft's site of owned companies or registered as such on sec.gov?

Edit: Oh that's right, because Microsoft does not, in fact, own Piriform.
__________________

__________________
Me: You'd think as the dominant species we wouldn't be so effing stupid.
J: We're just intelligent enough to be completely effing stupid.
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:14 AM   #23
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
Really? Why is Piriform registered through GoDaddy.com then? Why aren't they listed on Microsoft's site of owned companies or registered as such on sec.gov?
Pwned lol.
Edit: Oh that's right, because Microsoft does not, in fact, own Piriform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolPC View Post
I'd like to add

Avira - Antivir
Free antivirus

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)
Free antivirus by microsoft

Mozilla - Firefox
free web browser. The best in my opinion

Sandboxie
Allows you to "Sandbox" your browser. Kinda like a anti-virus or fire-wall but vastly increases security from malware.

Hope this helps!
Yea I think FireFox needs to ba added. But my personal opinion is that avast is the worst program ever made. You never ever see business using avast right? Vipre that's different. Btw this is not directed at anyone personally.


Thanks
Thorlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:16 AM   #24
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 97
Default

I'd just like to add... Microsoft does NOT own Piriform. I have purchased software from both, and I do this for a living.
__________________
Old School PC Services
http://www.OldSchoolPC.net
support@oldschoolpc.net
OldSchoolPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:22 AM   #25
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team
 
iPwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3,870
Default

Comodo actually advertises all the time on their facebook how they find more virus infections than any other AV Suite, but Every. Single. Time. I've used Comodo as my AV Solution, I've gotten a virus. I made the jump to Avast! and have had no problems whatsoever. Haven't checked out, or even heard of, Vipre though...
__________________
Me: You'd think as the dominant species we wouldn't be so effing stupid.
J: We're just intelligent enough to be completely effing stupid.
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:30 AM   #26
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
Comodo actually advertises all the time on their facebook how they find more virus infections than any other AV Suite, but Every. Single. Time. I've used Comodo as my AV Solution, I've gotten a virus. I made the jump to Avast! and have had no problems whatsoever. Haven't checked out, or even heard of, Vipre though...
No problems. That's because avast can't find any lol try something else and see what viruses come up.
Thorlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:37 AM   #27
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team
 
iPwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3,870
Default

I do regular scans with MBAM. What I meant by my previous comment was simply that Comodo allowed infection whereas Avast! is stopping that from happening.
__________________
Me: You'd think as the dominant species we wouldn't be so effing stupid.
J: We're just intelligent enough to be completely effing stupid.
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:47 AM   #28
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 17
Default

Whatever floats your boat lol.
Thorlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:27 AM   #29
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 73
Default

Yea - if Microsoft does not own Piriform, then why, oh why does it say that on their products???
Silvalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:51 AM   #30
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvalite110 View Post
Yea - if Microsoft does not own Piriform, then why, oh why does it say that on their products???
Just for the hell of it, I looked at the "license.txt" software license agreement that is in my installation folder of CCleaner (by Piriform) that I JUST INSTALLED. Wouldn't you know that "Microsoft" wasn't even mentioned in the license?
__________________

__________________
Old School PC Services
http://www.OldSchoolPC.net
support@oldschoolpc.net
OldSchoolPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0