32bit 64bit pros and cons

jackasspenguin

Solid State Member
What are the pros and cons of 64 vs. 32 bit operating systems? I have both machines. I've found that a few programs such as Reason Rewire don't work 64bit. The other, 32 bit seems to work just as well although it is 64bit ready. Is it possibe to install 2 versions of a program on a 64bit op sys? the 32 and 64bit version?

I'm running primarily music programs such as Sonar X1, Reason, FL Studio etc. Seemingly the operating system has little to no effect on saving audio files at any bit rate. I have Win 7 32bit ultimate and 64bit home premium.

I'm sure this isn't the fist time this topic has been mentioned but I thought I'd ask because
if there isn't any real advantages per say running 64bit, I'd just as soon have Win 7 ultimate on both machines. I guess the deal breaker would be being able to open Sonar project in both machines.

The real difference comes in some chances in speed advantages, and of course in memory.

More memory means more channels at that high 24bit 192khz bitrate, etc

32bit is locked at around 3. something GB's of RAM. 64bit can have very large amounts of RAM.

There should be no problem in running 32bit programs though in Windows 64bit.

Kage you beat me to it as I was typing :D

For your use, you may be better served sticking with a 32bit operating system for the time being.

When discussing the differences between a 32bit and 64bit processors, there are many. The 64bit processor has advanced silicon processes, more transistors and better speeds. They can also handle much larger numbers (as the CPU can handle more bits). For the average user though, the large number thing really doesn't come into play as much. (Calculations, Equations, Databases, etc) as most of the software we typically use doesn't require those functions. I personally have never encountered a 64bit only program but have heard rumors that Windows 8 was going to stop support for 32bit processors.

The biggest difference for you would be the amount of RAM that you can access as 32bit processors/OS' can only access around 3.86GB of RAM. So if you have 4+ and want to make use of it, then go with a 64bit CPU/OS.

For performance, a 64bit chip will provide better performance than a 32bit chip and the OS' can make use of that technology be it 64bit, but you're still going to get use of your 64bit chip on a 32bit OS. It's not like installing a 32bit OS on a 64bit chip is in anyway a bad thing. Many manufactured computers are sold just that way.

Hmm, thanks for the input guys. I guess having both operating systems is going to have it's advantages. For one thing, I don't plan on upgrading to anymore ram than what's in my 32 bit machine anyway. I guess what really needs to be assessed is if what I'm doing with 4gigs of ram going to cut it. I've used that machine to record audio for about 2 years now with a 64bit Intel Core 2 Duo and haven't had any serious problems doing so.

Can a saved file from a 32 bit program be opened with a 64bit program and visa versa? Thanks again guys. cheers!

Yeah, the file itself can be opened by whichever.
I still think getting a 64bit operating system is the way to go. You shouldn't need both.

What tends to use a lot of RAM is VST's. My 2GB I have in at the minute doesn't cut it when I have around 10 VST instances running at once.

Hmm, what Host DAW do you use Kage? I've got 4gigs in mine althought is says 3.5gigs.
I really like Reason. But, Rewire isn't 64bit friendly so I have to bounce audio back and forth in and out of Sonar x1 and Reason. It's not a deal breaker though. I think I'm going to buy the Reason Record Duo and see how I like that. Sonar locks up and crashess all the time in 64bit and has lots of quirks and bugs still. Supposedly they are working on another Hotfix but I'm not holding my breath for it. Reason Record doesn't supports VST operation and that kinda sucks too. I have Spectrasonics Omnisphere and It's totally awesome. It's easy to use and their support team is impeccable.

I haven't had any problems with 4gigs of ram. Certainly I wouldn't be running 10 instances of VSTs or tons of audio with effects without bouncing tracks. Still 4 hasn't kept me from doing anything with a 32bit system. Not being able to use Reason in Rewire is kind of a drag on the 64bit machine. I really only have this second machine for a back up system though really. I have my 64 in a Gateway tower and I hate it. I have a rack case I'm going to try and put it in and I know it's going to be trouble. I don't want to be stuck without something to work with while it's on the bench. Cheers! Johnny

Just use the 32bit app on the 64bit Windows in that case. There should be no problems doing that.

I use Renoise/Cubase myself.
Renoise being a modern tracker based package. It also happens to be free (for the most part).
One of my latest tracks has around... 12 VST's running at the same time.
With other programs running, I get glitches sometimes, but it can just about power it on this 32bit build with 2GB's without anything running.

I have a 64bit Windows now on another drive, but I haven't finished porting over everything yet for use.

Well that's a good idea. I don't know why I didn't think of doing that. So, I can install both 32 and 64bit Sonar and be able to use whatever I want when needed/

I've never used Cubase but it seems to be popular. They retooled Sonar and it is much better than it was. Still some issues but the layout and tool scheme is great.

I have a 250g hard drive in this other machine. That's kinda small. I'll probably get a 1TB and but the 64 win 7 on it, then install both Sonars.

Got any music to hear? Are you familiar with Soundclick? I just opened an account with one song so far. Haven't messed with it much.

I wouldn't assume it to be much of a problem but I'll post a threat over at Cakewalk and see what needs to be done.

http://members.soundclick.com/jackass+penguin I also have some myspace stuff from way back in the day. I'm not really a pianist or music programmer. I'm really just a guitarist but it's fun. Jackass Penguin | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos

I really think you have something there with the first part of content synth. I think if you found some trance drum tracks and tossed a few in there with your beautiful piano phrases
you could make some killer popular dance music. What synths are you using? I have a 4Shared account for file sharing. If you want to swap some audio files I could send you some drum tracks and maybe you could send my some of your synth lines and we can see what spawns from that. Look my up on facebook if you care to Johnny Whittenberg.

I dig your music. Very cool! Johnny

Back
Top Bottom