Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-24-2006, 04:25 AM   #11
Baseband Member

Default Re: 2 questions about getting linux

redhat is one of the best user friendly os, they also sell a redhat for dummies with the most current os. overall I say gentoo, but it is hard as hell to install, it took me at least 4 or 5 times to get it right. good luck

Old 06-25-2006, 12:44 AM   #12
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to X1337 Send a message via MSN to X1337

Ubuntu is better, I find it faster on my celeron D

X1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 02:14 AM   #13
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to rakedog

If you want to learn linux, go with Gentoo. If you want to learn linux, go with ubuntu, kubuntu, fedora, some shit like that.

The best argument against evolution are creationists themselves. They prove that life is devolving rather than evolving.
rakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 06:24 AM   #14
j03
~~~~~~~~

Send a message via MSN to j03

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakedog
If you want to learn linux, go with Gentoo. If you want to learn linux, go with ubuntu, kubuntu, fedora, some shit like that.
Is it just me, or does that make no sence??? Lol!
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:21 AM   #15
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to RewtGuy

Lhuser

Sorry to be a Grammar Nazi. Little MORE better? You can't say ANYTHING is better, it's preference.

If simplicity is what you're looking for maybe Ubuntu suits your needs

If you want complete control & customability, as an advanced user might. Gentoo might suit your needs better.

Now I don't mean to go off on a rant here but...

If you're searching for simplicity Linux is the wrong road for you pal. As it does (to some degree) require a functional brain, patience, and willingness to learn. It's not your next next next play counter strike operating system.

People shouldn't be discouraged when something is difficult. Often if you take the hard road, you're better prepared. You only get bragging rights if you beat something on the hardest level...

Why are so many people switching to Linux, what is everyone's REAL motivation? Most people are perfectly content w/ their Windows, why the change?
Windows: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.
RewtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:42 PM   #16
Baseband Member

Send a message via MSN to jonny912

SUSE 10.0/10.1 (can be downloaded)
and WINE but ive tryed WINE and i couldnt get it to work (not reccomened for linux noobz)
Old 08-11-2006, 02:14 PM   #17
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to Erik

I would reccomend Fedora Core 5 as an os, but if your just trying to run windows games, alot of that can be done manually, without an emulator. I know Doom 3 and quite a few other games offer downloads at their websites that allow the game to run on linux. If you want to use an emulator for gaming, Cedega is great for linux. http://www.transgaming.com/index.php...ceid=2&meid=-1

I need rep. points lol
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:37 PM   #18
Fully Optimized

If you want a good, easy and basic version of linux, go with Ubuntu. I use it now and then and it's easy, I like it because it's a new learning curve and because it uses resources lightly. I thought it was hard because I was used to things being like windows but after I realized it wasn't, it was very easy. You can download the ISO to a CD or DVD and just use the "LiveCD" function to try it out before you install. The LiveCD lets you use it but all the stuff is stored in your RAM so nothing ever gets modified on the HDD, that's how I tried it and I really liked it so I installed it but I have to install it again at some point because I got a new HDD.
Here's the Ubuntu homepage: http://www.ubuntu.com/
Here's a place to download it on the Ubuntu site: http://www.ubuntu.com/download

I've also heard that Fedora is a good distro but I've never tried it so I wouldn't know. I have an installation DVD of it that I made but never installed it, I might do that at some point on an old 10GB HDD I have lying around.

Hope that helps,
Troy
Old 08-12-2006, 02:05 PM   #19
In Runtime

OK, for the distro, I think you're best with a Debian-based one, because of the wonderful .deb package system, and unmatched stability. For playing WinDOS games on Linux you need Cedega or I think there is a version of Wine with DirectX support but standard wine doesn't so it WON'T work with any 3D games, should work with solitaire though ;-), lol.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:59 PM   #20
Baseband Member

Or you can have the best of both worlds if you already have windows. Install any type of linux on another partition on your HD. This way you can learn how to use it without the fear of losing everything on your computer. Dual boot can be your best friend. No matter what you'll love linux once you get over the hard to use hype.