16 gigs of ram installed. Windows 7 Professional 64 bit only reading 8 gigs

leefree

Beta member
Hi guys :)

Bought two 8 gig Kingston Hyper Memory sticks for my PC from tigerdirect. Installed them but Windows 7 Professional is only reading 8 gigs. I've tested the memory slots and they both work. Both memory sticks work as well.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA78LMT-S2P
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.6 GHz Processor
1 TB Hard Drive
ATI Radeon 3400 HD graphics card

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

When you tested the memory sticks, did you try them one at a time to see if they were both seen as 8GB sticks individually?

you properly just installed the second RAM the wrong way. your RAM ports have some numbers from 0 - 3.
you need to install the first RAM module on port 0 and the next RAM module on DIMM 2.

you properly just installed the second RAM the wrong way. your RAM ports have some numbers from 0 - 3.
you need to install the first RAM module on port 0 and the next RAM module on DIMM 2.

Since when?
This is new to me?

I know in order to get them running in ye olde dual channel you generally put them in every other slot but it should still pick them up regardless of what slots they are in.

ohhh. i just noticed that he was running on an AMD based system. this is not a fact for AMD's.

it's started with the Intel X58 chipset.
older Intel chipsets (as well as AMD based chipsets) doesn't depend on which slot you used.
but sense the X58 chipset you need to use DIMM number "0" first in order to make you PC post.
if there is no RAM module in DIMM 0 but a RAM module in DIMM 1, the system wont post because it's reading from port 0 first.
i remember that when i build my first system, i didn't want to cover the nice looking red ports on the mobo with the RAM modules.
So i chose to use the black ports instead (port 1, 3 and 5). that didn't work at all.

i know that posting wasn't his problem, i just think that it could be possible that the reason 8gig of memory wasn't picked up by the system could be the second module's position.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom