Go Back   Computer Forums > Social Networking | Instant Messaging | Communications
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-27-2006, 07:21 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default Windows Live Messenger not working

I updated my MSN messenger a while back to Windows live messenger... and all seemed to work fine. Then one day i log on and it freezes. Thinking nothing of it I just used the good old alt ctrl delete and logged back in again and everything was fine. But ever since that happened whenever i wanted to log into windows live messenger it would always freeze up for about 20 seconds before it would unfreeze and actually let me use the program. So i tried deleting messenger and reinstalling it with no luck. The same problem continued when i reinstalled the program. Now things are even worse because when I log on now messenger COMPLETELY freezes and I cant even use it now because it will just freeze up and will remain frozen until i use alt ctrl delete. I tried just about everything.. even a system restore... with no luck at all. Does anyone have any ideas because this is really fustrating since I am stuck using the ancient windows messenger that comes with xp.

EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:12 AM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: Windows Live Messenger not working

This is a long shot, but a lot of people are having that problem too with Windows Live Messenger. It freezes when you want to sign in. If you get lucky, you'll sign in ok--but freezes eventually. Try reregistering the msxml3.dll by doing this:

Click "Start," then "Run". Now type the following command, and then click "OK":

Regsvr32 %windir%\system32\msxml3.dll

You should receive a "DllRegisterServer succeeded" message if this command executed successfully.

Old 10-28-2006, 12:25 AM   #3
Daemon Poster

I tried that, and got the message that said it succeeded... but WINDOWS LIVE MESSENGER IS STILL NOT WORKING!!! the funny thing is.... i actually just did a whole system reformat tonight and reinstalled everything since my windows was being stupid and im still getting the same problem... could it be zone alarm or avg interfering with windows live messeneger?? it was working fine at first so i cant imagine theres a conflict there.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:29 AM   #4
Golden Master

Could be. Have you tried temporarily disabling those yet?
Old 10-28-2006, 12:35 AM   #5
Daemon Poster

Yep, disabled both and still the same problem..its getting really annoying!
Old 10-28-2006, 12:40 AM   #6
Golden Master

You don't have the beta version right? Those can be a pain. Do you have IE7 installed? You can try to take off Windows Live again and install IE7 from microsoft.com and reinstall Windows Live Messenger. Make sure no other windows are open and programs running in the background. Also, try looking in the Event Viewer from the Administrator Tools to see what error message pops up when running Windows Live.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:42 AM   #7
Daemon Poster

Nope I just downloaded it right off of msn.com. i do not have ie7... and the event view says ...

Hanging application msnmsgr.exe, version 8.0.812.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Old 10-28-2006, 12:46 AM   #8
Golden Master

You can always try installing an older version of MSN Messenger 6 or 7.5. Then wait for Messenger to tell you that a new version is available and download it that way.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:56 AM   #9
Daemon Poster

ahh i just downloaded IE7 and tried to redownload windows live messenger. SAME THING!!! i even disabled everything while installing it this time. looks like im gonna have to use msn messenger 7.5 or something like that.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:02 AM   #10
Daemon Poster

i just downloaded msn messenger 7.5 and guess what.... same problem! it wont even sign in??? like is it zone alarm or avg screwing with everything? i used to have no problems with it.. but if its doing this AFTER a reformat??? whats going on?