Universal IM Programs?

kenhkan

Baseband Member
Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering whether programs that can connect to other IM protocols are illegal in theory, since it is using specifically designed, undisclosed protocols by proprietary companies? By those programs I meant GAIM, Miranda, Trillian, Jabber (Psi, etc.). Even though everyone is using it, it doesn't necessarily mean it is legal. I'm wondering because downloading music using KaZaA, eMule, and BT are illegal but people still do it. Anyone has any idea?

That's an interesting question, but I'm pretty sure it's legal or else AOL would be having lawsuits. On the AIM site here it will give you a key to use it I guess. Either way the traffic is still on the AOL servers, not Trillian, Gaim, etc's servers.

http://developer.aim.com/aimccMain.jsp

They are perfectly legal. I believe Oscar (AOL's IM server) even has an API you can use to create your own IM client.

now i think it's legal after reading meebo's blog and stuff. but anyone know why? the API, in the history of internet service, is always the trade secret that can sell lots of money. any idea why many of these are open?

Back
Top Bottom