If there were no internet, what do you think you'd be doing instead?

If the internet disappeared tomorrow - what would I do?

I come from a time when we functioned just fine without 24/7 internet access. I'd be able to get rid of my smartphone and get a cheaper plan. I'd have to have my friends over to play xbox. I'd have to show people pics of my son instead of putting them on Facebook. I'd have to open a real book/newpaper/magazine.

I'd go outside and sit on my porch swing and drink a beer while watching the traffic go by on a sunday evening.

In other words, life would go on just like normal for me.

I'm from this same era. Even though I love the Internet and everything it has to offer I come from a time I remember there was no Internet, no cell phones, no GPS, no XBOX, no cable (TV went completely off salt-n-pepper), no CD/DVD's, no Facebook, no Twitter, no anything and life went on just fine. I think most people would be surprised what they can get along without!!! Life should be explored physically in real-time, not virtually from behind a computer --- the Internet should only add to your life experience, not become it.

It's funny because I'm only 38 years old (born '74) and most of my young life was without the Internet or high tech stuff. It wasn't until my last year in high school I discovered the Internet. I didn't even have a cell phone back then, instead I rocked a pager and would call someone back on a pay phone when they paged me.

When I got lost or had wrong driving directions I'd pull into a gas station and get the right directions or ask someone on the street (hoping they're being honest). When I arrive at my destination I'd honk the horn three times to call the person outside.

Nowadays, we can rely on the GPS to get us to the front door and we use our cell phones to call the person outside as we're pulling up. Times have changed drastically in such short times. I can only imagine what the world would be like in another 38 years. Pray I'm here to see it +some.

I would probably spend my life in my parents basement ranting about how much I miss the Internet.
It would be tuff to give up the internet since we're used to having it available 24/7.

I got my first internet access in about 1990 at the ripe old age of 37, before that, I didn't miss what I never had. The early internet was quite different than what it is today. For one thing, it was text only and there were very few websites. The websites that did exist were either academic or technical. The internet didn't interest the average person back then and the world went about it's business just fine without access to the internet.

Last edited:
The internet is as vital to me as sleeping. I get all my news and info from the web, not to mention all my music and downloads. Also when ever i need to get to a destination i could go to Map Quest and get directions.

The internet is as vital to me as sleeping. I get all my news and info from the web, not to mention all my music and downloads. Also when ever i need to get to a destination i could go to Map Quest and get directions.

Same for me except Google is my goto for maps..

Having more monies in the bank. Would save monies because on no internet bills.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

Back
Top Bottom