If there were no internet, what do you think you'd be doing instead?

The problem is that we depend heavily on internet and use it for so many different things.
Not to zero in on BK_123 but those of you that say you don't know what you'd do without the internet must be younger people who don't know what life was like before the internet. I lived the first 2/3rds of my life without the internet and existed just fine.

I echo the things that jmacavali said. Without internet, we went out more, went to the library to research things and had friends over more often.

First, I know this thread is old, but feel the need to continue the discussion.

Second, I stated before that for the most part life would go on. I'm fairly young still...the internet came out while I was in junior high....but it was slow and not every device was connected. In fact even most comptuers still weren't connected (at least not in an "always on" kind of way). That being said, there would be a huge period of adjustment and getting used to. Your average person could go about their lives, but businesses would be hit the hardest. It would be very inconvenient, but it wouldn't be the end of the world....though I'm sure the media would make it seems that way (that's if people actually remember they can turn on the TV and see news as well...:lol:)

TV, who still has TV? lol A lot of people get rid of TV for internet and online stuff like Netflix.

I get all my news on the internet. I got dialup internet at home in 2002 when I was 12. Before that I had internet at school that I had been used to using sometimes. So I kind of grew up with the internet. Now I pretty much live on the internet. At this moment I'm on the internet typing this while watching Netflix on my HTPC. When the internet drops I'll sit around and troubleshoot the problem rather than getting off and reading a book. :p So I'd be screwed. lol

If there was no internet, there would be something else - something very close to it. You know, like when the steam engine was invented, there were several inventors from all over the world that had come up with very similar divices. Or when the first flying apparatuses were built, so many people went up in the air for just a few seconds or fell down right away until the first working small plaine was created.
The time was just right for the internet to come up. If it weren't created in the 80s and vastly becoming popular in the second half of the 90s, something else would have taken its place, like for example Usenet - which was originally supposed to be an alternative. We would have some sort of way to send mails, watch movies "online" or surf on "websites".

Back
Top Bottom