Go Back   Computer Forums > Social Networking | Instant Messaging | Communications
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #11
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Facebook Chat

everything that goes onto facebook has to go onto their servers, it doesnt just float around in a cloud. in chat, you send your message to the server, which in turn sends it to your friend. The facebook servers will be many hundreds of Terabytes, if not multiple Exabytes in size, and nothing that goes onto facebook leaves in a hurry. Even if you delete a post, the post is still stored on the servers, it just isnt displayed on your wall.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #12
Solid State Member

Send a message via Yahoo to markwaugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
With the new chat/message system, Facebook saves all chats in the messages section. They now consider chats and messages as one running conversation. You not only need to clear the chat window now, you need to delete the "conversation" in your messages section also.

oh really...........i didn't know about this ... this is not good.... but thanks for the info....

markwaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #13
Fully Optimized

Who cares if the chats or messages are saved? Nobody can read them except you, same as your email. I don't understand the issue.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #14
Solid State Member

Send a message via Yahoo to markwaugh

but i think there should be an option to choose to save chat or not.... any ways... this is not so bad.....
markwaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:30 PM   #15
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

They have improved the chat system. Now you can delete individual messages, not the whole "conversation" at one time as I posted earlier.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #16
Beta Member

try to "clear windows" ..it deletes the chat history..
anyways fb only keeps the chat history for 24hours, and then it gets deleted automatically.
BackY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:05 AM   #17
Baseband Member

Man, man, man. First of all, no offense to anyone in favor of the Facebook chat.

I honestly don't like it either. If there's one instant messenger I don't get the vibes with, it's Facebook's chat.

Of course, here are some keypoints:
- Emoticons suck. They just blow away all the 'exciting' feeling of the talk. Ex. The ':O' looks like a scared something rather than a suprised person. Suggestion: Better change it for something else and add new emoticons.

- Unsavable Logs? (Problem with logs) Some are savable (I'm not sure about this), sometimes - the logs are actually savable. But when it comes to slow internet connections, they load pretty slow and if you open a new chat log (especially when the history is cleared), everything is erased. No proof! No evidence! Argh!

Thumbs down. No offense, really. I appreciate is as a social site, I just don't like the Facebook chat feature (it is extremely helpful!)
Richochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #18
BSOD

Can a school have the right to look at your messages and look at your profile without being your friend.
clacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:10 AM   #19
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

The simple answer to that clacker is to set your account to "friends only".
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:40 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clacker View Post
Can a school have the right to look at your messages and look at your profile without being your friend.
That's your fault for not setting the correct permissions. Other people can only see what you let them see.

KMATB
Lowndsey is online now   Reply With Quote