AIM file transfer, wireless network, bandwidth

RaisingKane

Solid State Member
I have two computers sharing an internet connection through a Linksys wireless router. Each is logged onto a distinct AIM user. Question: When I transfer files from one user to another, does it use up bandwidth, or is it a direct transfer just between the computers and therefore "free"? I have a limited amount of bandwidth per month.

I don't know what AIM is really doing, how file transfer relates to outside AOL servers, etc. I'm leaning towards it being a "free" transfer, since on test transfers my transfer rate never dropped below 450KB/s, whereas on past transfers with other people I never got above 30KB/s.

I can't say I'd be completely sure either. I would say that the transfer is a direct connection, not through an AOL Server, but a direct connection will not connect you through the Router and into the other computer without going through the ISP. It is still an Internet Transfer, and as such your ISP will handle all the connections whether to next door or through the same router. It will still go through your Bandwidth Meter.

Can you not just send it over the Network? If you have a Router you must have a Network in place.

Back
Top Bottom