Go Back   Computer Forums > Social Networking | Instant Messaging | Communications
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-11-2007, 07:30 AM   #1
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default AIM 5.9 crashes

well, considering teh topic this seems like the best place for this.

what happens is this, i can use AIM and have it behave fine for hours, as long as my computer does not go to an idle state. however, once my comptuer has gone idle for over an hour, when i come back, AIM errors out with the "this program has encoutnered a problem and needs to close" The message comes when my computer comes back from idle (i see it pop up)

i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling AIM but it keeps happening. the only thing that is set to turn off when my comptuer is idle is my moniter. I don't want to upgrade to AIM 6.0, its just a crappy version of aim in my opionion. any ideas on whats happening?

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:22 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz
Default Re: AIM 5.9 crashes

Lots of programs go unstable when the computer goes idle etc. You may have no other option than to upgrade, either that or put up with it. Either that or set your computers power options so it doesnt go idle

Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
Site Team

i don't think its power settings seeing as how the only thing set to turn off is my moniter. that and other chat programs like xfire stay up and running.

as much as i wanna say aim could just be unstable, i know at the same time its able to be left idle for days at a time (i've done that before). if anyone has an older 5.9 version than what is on the site, for install i'll give it a try. I jsut hate to give up and go to that ugly new version.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:20 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Is this what ya after?
http://www.filehippo.com/download_aim/?250
Old 01-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #5
Site Team

yes it is. i'll give it a shot when i get home from work. thanks for the linky.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:07 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

you should give trillian a try. It works with aim as well as yahoo, MSN and ICQ. It's also more stable and far easier on resources. I've never had a problem with it.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:15 AM   #7
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

Yeah, Trillian is pretty good for a multi-protocol IM client. Too bad it sucks at file transfers.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:47 AM   #8
Golden Master

I use trillian aswell, file transfers work fine for me
Old 01-13-2007, 09:27 PM   #9
Site Team

sorry its taken me a day to get back. i tried the earlier version of AIM that Raffaz gave me, and it just seemed to delay the error. I did try 6.0 and it gave me an error as well. I'll be giving Trillion a try tonight too see how it works.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:46 PM   #10
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm
sorry its taken me a day to get back. i tried the earlier version of AIM that Raffaz gave me, and it just seemed to delay the error. I did try 6.0 and it gave me an error as well. I'll be giving Trillion a try tonight too see how it works.
Strange, have ya tried totally uninstalling it in safe mode, and then running a registry cleaner to get the last bits off, then reinstalling it? Maybe check event viewer for errors aswell, and run chkdsk /r from command prompt aswell just to check for corrupt files aswell. Oh, and another program worth looking at is gaim, thats another chat client like trillian.