You're Not Old Unless You Can Remember...

Clutch1

In Runtime
Being sent to the drugstore to test vacuum tubes for the TV.

When Kool-Aid was the only drink for kids, other than milk and sodas.

When there were two types of sneakers for girls and boys (Keds & PF Flyers),and the only time you wore them at school, was for gym class.

When it took five minutes for the TV to warm up.

When nearly everyone's Mom was at home when the kids got there.

When nobody owned a purebred dog.

When a quarter was a decent allowance, and another quarter a huge bonus.

When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny.

When girls neither dated nor kissed until high school, if then.

When your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces.

When all of your male teachers wore neckties and female teachers had their hair done, everyday.

When you got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped, without asking, for free, every time. And, you didn't pay for air. And, you got trading stamps to boot!

When laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box.

When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed him, or use him to carry groceries, and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it.

When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents.

When they threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed . . . and did!

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home.

What you do with the pointed end of a can opener.

When there was no McDonalds.

When you dressed up to fly on an airliner.

When you could watch the engines start on an airliner.

When candy bars cost a nickel.

When comic books cost 10 cents (and how traumatic it was when the price went up to 12 cents, then 15 cents).

When you actually got up out of the couch to change the channel on the TV.

When there was only one other channel to change to, two if you adjusted the antenna.

When whole communities were mass vaccinated against polio.

Where you were when you heard JFK had been shot.

When VWs broke the 2000 price barrier.

When John Glenn went into space the first time.

When you drank milk through a Flav-R-Straw.

When you did calculations with a slide rule, an adding machine, and/or a table of sines, cosines, and logarithms.

When this year's new cars looked different from last year's, and when different makes of cars looked different.

When car radios were AM only.

When paperback books were 25 cents.

Clutch said:
When you actually got up out of the couch to change the channel on the TV.

I still do that. I've managed to destroy my remote control and haven't bought a new one. :D

mammikoura said:
I still do that. I've managed to destroy my remote control and haven't bought a new one. :D

EHH, i know where mine is, just too lazy to walk into the spare bedroom and get it!

Unfortunately I remember 99% of that, English version, strangely, just after WW2, in 1946, American comics were just getting into shops costing half-a-crown, about a quarter, all children sat down to every meal with their parents, you always asked to leave the table, & if you didn't eat your greens, you didn't get afters, [pudding] & most adult women wore corsets.

Brookfield said:
Unfortunately I remember 99% of that, English version, strangely, just after WW2, in 1946, American comics were just getting into shops costing half-a-crown, about a quarter, all children sat down to every meal with their parents, you always asked to leave the table, & if you didn't eat your greens, you didn't get afters, [pudding] & most adult women wore corsets.

Never bought comics, Whenever I am not working late I sit to eat with my Perents (until I move out), Still ask to leave the table and miss the days when women were women and not foul mouthed beasts! I know a few women whose mouths would make a trucker blush!

Yeah and the days when the whole neibourhood watched out for all the kids. Folks then didn't hesitate to correct you even if you were some one else's kid. Then call your folks and give them the lowdown on what happened. You got it 10 times worse than if you confessed on your own. I loved that even though it cost me a few whippings. At least I knew my back was being watched.
And the days of real gentlemen have died. You don't often see men opening doors for ladies or holding the chair while the lady sits down.
Pity, those were the good old days...

I remember most of them. I gotta tell you this though: Each times, compared to now, are well remembered. I was born in the middle of 89.

Back
Top Bottom