In your view...is it alright to steal software?

trance-n-e

In Runtime
Do you think its alright to illegaly get software for which you would otherwise have to pay for? (i.e. download off torrent sites, etc) What about movies? Music? I just wana hear all of your opinions, because lately this has been bugging me, as in I just reformatted by PC a few days ago to start fresh, legally.

I do it all the time, and it doesnt bother me to much..Because they're still making millions while were over here making barly 6 figs..( everyone who is against it, dont flame at me )..As for music..Well I usually download the cd, and if its a hit cd, ill go and buy it..Im just tired of buying cds with 2 good songs, and the rest suck..I download songs 24/7.....As for movies ehh I just go to the theatre...Dont watch movies to often...

Dev0115 said:
I do it all the time, and it doesnt bother me to much..Because they're still making millions while were over here making barly 6 figs..( everyone who is against it, dont flame at me )..As for music..Well I usually download the cd, and if its a hit cd, ill go and buy it..Im just tired of buying cds with 2 good songs, and the rest suck..I download songs 24/7.....As for movies ehh I just go to the theatre...Dont watch movies to often...

Yea thats what I told my old Computer Sciences teacher, and this is what he told me "Yes, thats true, but than people who buy software, have to pay 10 times the price, because out of 10 people who own the software, only 1 bought it. This is why Microsoft Office is so expensive.

trance-n-e said:
Do you think its alright to illegaly get software for which you would otherwise have to pay for? (i.e. download off torrent sites, etc) What about movies? Music? I just wana hear all of your opinions, because lately this has been bugging me, as in I just reformatted by PC a few days ago to start fresh, legally.

It's a touchy subject.

Just put yourself in the Artists, or developers shoes. (And yes, disregard the fact they are already worth millions...It's not the point.)

Examples..Norton Security. The minute I purchase that product from them, as far as I'm concerned, I should be able to install that program as many times, and on as many computers in my household as I wish, but low and behold, this isn't the case. On 2005 I exceeded my allotted installs, So had to go out and buy 2006.

For those that did the illegal kazaa and just downloaded songs, movies, programs till thier eyes bled, Yes, I do believe that is illegal and should not be done.

Now if I purchased songs, programs, movies first, from a site like sharebear? or others I believe, and somehow lost them, Yes, you better believe I'm going to illegally download those again somehow, because I already bought em once. But you also better be able to prove you did if caught.

trance-n-e said:
Yea thats what I told my old Computer Sciences teacher, and this is what he told me "Yes, thats true, but than people who buy software, have to pay 10 times the price, because out of 10 people who own the software, only 1 bought it. This is why Microsoft Office is so expensive.

But if it was at a good price from the start, then maybe everyone would just buy it..

AmericanSensei said:
It's a touchy subject.

Just put yourself in the Artists, or developers shoes. (And yes, disregard the fact they are already worth millions...It's not the point.)

Examples..Norton Security. The minute I purchase that product from them, as far as I'm concerned, I should be able to install that program as many times, and on as many computers in my household as I wish, but low and behold, this isn't the case. On 2005 I exceeded my allotted installs, So had to go out and buy 2006.

For those that did the illegal kazaa and just downloaded songs, movies, programs till thier eyes bled, Yes, I do believe that is illegal and should not be done.

Now if I purchased songs, programs, movies first, from a site like sharebear? or others I believe, and somehow lost them, Yes, you better believe I'm going to illegally download those again somehow, because I already bought em once. But you also better be able to prove you did if caught.

Yea I agree with you on that. Because if I own something already, and like the CD got cracked or something, I think its totally legal to go and d/l it.

What I ment by this topic, is if its alright to just endlesly d/l programs off the internet. Windows, Office, Visual Studio, everything.

trance-n-e said:
Strictly speaking it is illegal, but, whilst not condoning it, I don't see how they can moniter it, well done for now doing it legally, you have good principles, more than I can say for some
thumbs.gif

Back
Top Bottom