Your Very First Computer.......

Re: Your Very First Comuter.......

The first one I could really call mine is an old HP...133MHz pentium running win98. Don't remember how much RAM, but the hard drive is a whopping 9.1GB. I haven't fired it up in quite some time...

This was just before the first Pentium 4's came out...I still remember those commercials with the Blue Man Group.

haha, i remember those commercials :p back in like grade 5 or something when i first saw them

That would have been grade 7 for me. It was around the time when I got my amd computer I mentioned earlier all my friends were sort of jealous since their parents were the ones getting new pcs and they were stuck with their old hand me downs that couldn't do f all. I was the guy everyone came to to burn cds and my friends started coming over to play computer games over my home network. Man those were the days. I also made a nice chunk of cash upgrading people's computers to xp and installing cd burners once they saw my setup.

First PC was our family computer. It was a Packard Bell (don't remember model name, I was REALLY young) that ran Windows 3.1 until we had it upgraded to Windows 95. We had this program called MusicStar that came with a midi keyboard and about a dozen floppy discs to install the program lol. Then we got AOL...

I was always interesting in computers but never had any money to toy with one. We had a really tall Gateway (I didn't know what it had, then) that stocked a PII MMX @ ???MHz.
Then I met my uncle who built computers for a living. We bought a computer from him (I still have the hardware around somewhere and when I find it I'll let you know) But I know it was AMD; it was upgraded to a PNY Verto FX5200 so I could play GTA VC on PC and it had 3 RAM banks. (so it used PC-133 or PC-100U). I still wasn't that knowledgeable in the field. I knew what a GB was and how many MB it equaled but that's not very in depth at all.

I got to know computers better when I got my own computer. I remember it vividly as it is/was the first Trisha. Gateway 300L (slim) Pentium 4 @ 2.0GHz (with the 512Kb L2) stock gateway board with I don't know what chipset) no AGP slot so I had to use a PCI MX4000 graphics card. It had 1GB of RAM (PC-2100) And a 40GB HDD which I added in a 160GB. Then I got more in depth as I began to have systems to play around with - It didn't feel risky at all. It was a Pentium III 933 @ 933MHz. was a stock Compaq board with 768MB of PC-133 RAM. I dropped the FX5200 in there to have a little fun. And to top it all off, it had a 20GB HDD.

Trisha lasted me a VERY long time. Then I guess in summer 2008 I decided I wanted to start getting better performance on my P4 ...I started with buying some cool add-ons like temperature gauges and basic stuff. I modded the side panel and put a fan on it so "improve cooling". I really had no idea what I was doing so looking back it was really pointless for that tower. Further, I read a few articles on overclocking. And I soon learned that there was nothing I could do with my processor, but Riva could help me with my GPU. Now, since Riva is a fairly professional tool, it doesn't really limit you. Well, one thing lead to another, and instead of increasing clocks by the 5MHz at a time I intended, it was more like 50. I guess I overdrew the PCI port for power and really jacked up the board. I also ran the board without the heatsink on the CPU a couple times. :| Well, it ended up dying and I knew I needed a computer and I didn't want to go with another pre-built. I knew you could "build your own computer" but I always had it in my head that it was like, grab out the solder gun and put on all the parts. Then I realized how simple it really could be. I'd always run single cores, so I moved right up to a quad. The Q6600 - Fresh off the market and in good spec. I think I had a complex about intel at that point so I wanted an Nvidia chipset. I looked at the XFX 680i LT and saw the price and thought it was perfect. I read a few reviews and decided the Evga 680i T1 was exactly what I needed. My initial build was going to have 8500GT's SLI'd. But then I only wanted an 8600GT. I think I emailed Logan at TigerTV and he said get the 9500GT because it was new technology and about as expensive. Then I settled for the 9600GT and since I had grown to like the name Evga, I chose theirs. I immediately saw the 4GB of "SLI ready" RAM and thought "I need that!" because my board said "SLI ready" I didn't really know what SLI was. I knew it was multiple cards, but I thought everything had to say "SLI ready" PSU, board, RAM, the whole nine yards. I didn't get new HDD's as I already had the ones from my previous computer. and I chose the Ultra Aluminus for my case. I picked the OD I currently have (LiteON super all-read/all-write with LS). Last but not least, I had to choose a PSU. In my mind I was building the best computer the world had ever seen, And I was fresh with this idea and intent on not asking a soul for help, not to mention using the PSU guide TD put as a link. Which said I needed about 650w. I know now that was easily a 500w rig. Anyways, I picked up an 800w for 100 dollars and called it a rig. Threw in the 775D, some el cheapo CM fans, 2 HDD coolers, and 2 5.25 intake bays. Bought some 80mm's, those classy looking laser cut grills, and a fan port bank from FCPU. Bought a Type-R badge off of Ebay and called it Trisha2.

Wow, that was a lot of typing. All we need now is a picture of a camp fire.

good story man! :p
(yeah i had to do it, lol)

campfire.jpg

Well...lets see. Right now I'm in my mid-twenties. We got our first family computer when I was maybe 8 or 9. I don't have a clue what it was, other than a hand-me-down from my aunt who got a new one (she had more money then we did). It ran Windows 3.1 so I had to log-out to DOS to run games (like SimFarm or MegaMan or Rad Racer). They were on 5.25" disks (true "floppy" disks). I have a hard time callin 3.5" disk "floppy" because compared to the 5.25" they really aren't. We then went from that to an HP that ran 98SE and stayed with that until we got a Dell w/XP on it. Yes, that means I never ran ME or 4.0 or anything like that. Went from one solid OS to the next and skipped over all the crappy one...lucky me.

XP Ftw. Love MCE 05. Probably the best OS I've used. Feature rich and stable. Can't argue :D Oh, and it doesn't baby you. I hate when the OS gets all user friendly. "Do you want windows to do 'this' for you?" "NO! I WANT TO DO IT MYSELF! MIEN!!!"

>.>

My first PC was a Commodore 64 with a built in slot for Coleco video game cartridges. Must have been around 1985, I think.

Back
Top Bottom