Your Specialty Area in IT

Your Specialty Area's In IT

• Total voters
I work providing support.
the company I work in is a managed service company, and I work on a team that looks after servers running Microsoft software, (E.g. if microsoft make it our team support it).
as well as supporting VMWare esxi servers. and the SANs that hold data for these systems.

due to the way I progressed through this company, (which is a 24x7 company, I work on call shifts, -where is something breaks in the night I'll get called and need to connect remotely and fix it.) but rather than work on the server team, I work on the networking team for my on call shifts.
Supporting routers switches and firewalls

As a hobby I like programming.

Since my job title is "Lead Developer" I guess programming has to be my first but hardware has always been my passion I love having a screw driver in my hands and tinkering with things!! But sadly you don't actually get to do much of that these days.

I mean what do you really do in terms of hardware nowa days?
If something breaks it gets replaced, no one opens up a PSU to tinker anymore as they're cheap enough just to replace, same with monitors really.

Then the delightful old software

I selected Programming and Software as my skills since that is what I currently do for a living as a software developer. However, I've worked in the tech industry since 1972 so I've dabbled a bit in all those areas. I worked as a hardware technician for the first 12 years of my career before making a switch to the software side where I've worked ever since.

After I finish studying I hope to be doing hardware type jobs, software, helpdesk and maybe web design. I do know some web design and a few things in networking.

I work in a helpdesk and I eat, sleep, breathe, drink, dream about hardware.

I also do networking, server administration and software support.

BK_123 said:
Hi all, I just wanted to know what is specialty area in IT, Please answer the poll or make a post.

Hello all,

Im a Field Technician . I service schools and business. Software and hardware. Work for a IT company in NJ and work part at hospital in NY,where I manage the WIFI network via Meraki dashboard and AP's.

Large scale network design and implementation. I'm the poor smuck that designs the layout of routers, switches, and access points for hotels we own. That also includes intergrading the phone system in to the T-1 with the internet piggybacked on it. Fun fun...

Back
Top Bottom