Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #31
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: Your Religious Views

Quote:
I feel religion has lost it's meaning. Because from what I understand, religion is an either or thing, like either christian OR evolutionist.
Again, I would strongly object to this viewpoint. You can be a young earth creationist or you can be an evolutionist, those two are strongly mutually exclusive. However, a belief in evolution doesn't automatically preclude a belief in God. The only thing it really precludes is a literal interpretation of a particular translation of the first chapter or so of Genesis.

Quote:
if you believe in the big bang, Then how'd did all the water get here? because the big bang comes from a tiny little dot. now, it is not possible in any life form to condense water
You're thinking of the big bang as an explosion from a tiny dot in some existing space, whereas actually the "big bang" was the process by which space itself came into existence, before any elements were formed, let alone compounds such as water. All the mass of the universe wasn't directly bound up in this infinitesimally small space, but a ridiculously large amount of energy was, and this is what pulled space itself apart (and indeed is still pulling it apart today.)

I'm actually of the opinion that "big bang" is a bad name for it for that reason - since it's not really an explosion or anything else that we associate with a "bang". It's a bit misleading in that sense of the word.

Quote:
Since scientists say matter can neither be destroyed nor created we were technically all present at the big bang.
Incorrect - scientists say that *energy* can neither be destroyed nor created, and matter and energy are essentially equivalent (under the right conditions, one can be converted into the other.) So yes, you could say that the energy used to create the fundamental particles such as quarks, leptons etc. which created the protons / neutrons, which created the atoms, which formed various compounds, which eventually formed us, was present at the big bang. I think it's personally a bit of a stretch to use that to say "we" were all there, though I can see where you're coming from.

Of course, no-one was alive anywhere near the big bang, so we have to work backwards with what we have - and that's where we end up at the theory. We see stars being gradually formed through gravitational fields pulling gasses together, we see those stars harvesting "rocky matter" through gravitational fields of their own, and this matter in turn forming planets. We can therefore extrapolate backwards from what we observe, along with the expansion of the universe, and conclude that at one time, space itself was very small - infinitesimally small. We call this "start" the big bang. What happened to cause it, and even what happened before around 1E-30 seconds after it started, we have no idea. Physics isn't there yet.

Quote:
it is more logical to me, to say that God created all of this, rather then " a big bang happen'd".
As I've said already though, I see no reason for the two to be mutually exclusive. If you accept the idea that the universe was (somehow) created by God, which I personally do, you then naturally end up with the question of *how* God created this. This then gives you a choice as to whether to stick to a literal interpretation of a particular translation of Genesis, or you get really stuck into it: marvelling at it, wondering at it and working out our understanding of the scientific details behind it. If God didn't want us to do that, I don't believe he would have given us the minds that he has.
__________________

__________________
Save the whales, feed the hungry, free the mallocs.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #32
Fully Optimized
 
jmacavali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,867
Default Re: Your Religious Views

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
As I've said already though, I see no reason for the two to be mutually exclusive. If you accept the idea that the universe was (somehow) created by God, which I personally do, you then naturally end up with the question of *how* God created this. This then gives you a choice as to whether to stick to a literal interpretation of a particular translation of Genesis, or you get really stuck into it: marvelling at it, wondering at it and working out our understanding of the scientific details behind it. If God didn't want us to do that, I don't believe he would have given us the minds that he has.
This. I couldn't agree more. It seems you and I share the exact same thoughts on this. I believe in evolution and I believe in God and see no reason why I can't.
__________________

__________________
****************************************
Don't take life too seriously -- no one gets out alive. Plus, who wants to arrive to the hereafter in pristine condition wearing a suit and tie?
I want to slide in sideways, worn out, used up, hair a mess, clothes tattered, & screaming, "Whooo! What a ride!"
****************************************
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #33
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 7
Default Re: Your Religious Views

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Acts 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Faith is trusting what someone tells us. Belief is just that, belief. I can believe I am going to heave because I am a good person, which I'm not, btw. I can trust I am going to heaven because God said so...John 3:16-21 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God

And

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

I am going to heaven because God says so, and I trust Him, and Him alone to get me there. No religion (it's man made), no man, save Christ Jesus can get me there.

Yes. there are many interpretations of different passages that aren't worth bickereing over, but as for going to heaven or hell for eternity, that's is of the utmost importance and needs to be dealt with before one's body dies. What god does, He does forever. A person's soul either lives in eternal life, or eternal death forever after it's shell dies.
flashtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #34
Fully Optimized
 
cboucher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,652
Default Re: Your Religious Views

While we're on the subject, are there any gingers on here that are Christian (or Muslim or Mormon or any other religion that believes that the soul goes to heaven after you die)? I would think it would be pretty safe to assume that people lacking souls would have no use for religion, but often things like this tend not to make too much sense.
__________________
But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.
cboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #35
BSOD
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MI, USA
Posts: 722
Default Re: Your Religious Views

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboucher View Post
While we're on the subject, are there any gingers on here that are Christian (or Muslim or Mormon or any other religion that believes that the soul goes to heaven after you die)? I would think it would be pretty safe to assume that people lacking souls would have no use for religion, but often things like this tend not to make too much sense.
Everyone has a soul. Even heartless, horrid, people, have souls lol... If you don't have a soul, then you won't need to worry about heaven :P
Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #36
MMM
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: !!
Posts: 699
Default Re: Your Religious Views

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc456 View Post
Not that I'm in the business of nit-picking (much . . . ) but you say you don't believe in religion or god, whilst you are perfectly entitled to your opinion about god, you cannot deny the existence of religion . . . . . .

I do think it's interesting as I do class myself very much as an atheist but like many people there have been times in my life, very desperate times where I have resorted to prayer?

Probably not prayer in the usual term but a desperate look within and a cry of "Please if there is a god . . . . ."
How can I deny the existence of religion when people practice it, if you want to cling to any belief of religion then that is your choice.

To me Religion is indoctrination, whether you believe or not is up to the individual.

I have my reasons of not accepting God or religion & stand by it, I suppose I am a true atheist.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:19 AM   #37
Fully Optimized
 
BikerEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: Your Religious Views

Hahaha. good one cboucher. ^^

Life:
there are no evidence saying that there is anything like a soul.
i for one don't believe in souls. all personality, memory's and "the feeling of being alive" is located and processed in the brain.
__________________
MOBO: Asus Maximus 6 Hero - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme - CPU: I7-4770K - PSU: Corsair AX760
RAM: Corsair Vantage 2x4GB - SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 512 + LiteOn LCS-256 - Case: NZXT H440
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #38
BSOD
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MI, USA
Posts: 722
Default Re: Your Religious Views

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerEcho View Post
Hahaha. good one cboucher. ^^

Life:
there are no evidence saying that there is anything like a soul.
i for one don't believe in souls. all personality, memory's and "the feeling of being alive" is located and processed in the brain.
SOUL:
: the immaterial essence, animating principle, or actuating cause of an individual life
2
a : the spiritual principle embodied in human beings, all rational and spiritual beings, or the universe
b capitalized Christian Science : god 1b
3
: a person's total self
4
a : an active or essential part
b : a moving spirit : leader
5
a : the moral and emotional nature of human beings
b : the quality that arouses emotion and sentiment
c : spiritual or moral force : fervor
6
: person <not a soul in sight>
7
: personification <she is the soul of integrity>
8
a : a strong positive feeling (as of intense sensitivity and emotional fervor) conveyed especially by black American performers

Personally, I believe everyone has a soul.
Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #39
Fully Optimized
 
BikerEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: Your Religious Views

it's a very nice thought all that about souls. you know,, when we die we are still alive somewhere. i can see why people want to believe in it.
but in my opinion: if you believe in souls, then you might aswell believe in ghosts.
__________________
MOBO: Asus Maximus 6 Hero - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme - CPU: I7-4770K - PSU: Corsair AX760
RAM: Corsair Vantage 2x4GB - SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 512 + LiteOn LCS-256 - Case: NZXT H440
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #40
BSOD
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MI, USA
Posts: 722
Default Re: Your Religious Views

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerEcho View Post
it's a very nice thought all that about souls. you know,, when we die we are still alive somewhere. i can see why people want to believe in it.
but in my opinion: if you believe in souls, then you might aswell believe in ghosts.
I would agree 100%, If I didn't believe in Heaven, :P
__________________

Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0