Your first computer, how did it change ur life

I think the VGA card retailed for around $800 but I got a deal for around $450 because the exterior of the box got water damaged. The card was in an inner box and was completely sealed so no dampness got anywhere near it. Came with full warranty as well.

I can't remember how much the monitor cost but it was pretty expensive. It was an IBM 8513 model with a humongous 12" screen.

My point exactly. They cost a lot back then and still don't have what we take for granted today.

Yeah, I hear you Celery. I see people complain about how expensive an SSD is and laugh. A quick check just now shows a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO priced at $140 on Newegg. To me, that's downright cheap because I paid $500 for my first 20MB HDD in 1985!

My first PC came with 256KB on the motherboard and it cost me $600 to upgrade the RAM on that system to 640KB. That required a total of 72 64Kb chips at about $8 per chip.

Last edited:
the first computer I used was in school and was an "RM Nimbus" for people in the UK, the brand RM - research machines is well known throughout schools, - and I now work with a load of people who have worked at RM...
that machine was a 186 running DOS 3 or some such, everything needed to be loaded from floppy drives, and as I'm talking primary school, (ages 5 - 11) things were loaded by staff, or usually the command you'd need to type to get the thing you wanted was written on the disk label.

The first computer my family owned was a Packard Bell, Pentium 75 with 8MB RAM.
it changed my life in as far as I discovered that I was able to make music and videos on a computer, also made school work a bunch easier, (I was 13 or 14 when we got that.)
I also learned to program, first in Q basic, then in Visual basic.

the first computer I owned myself, was when I was at university, (I couldn't afford a computer), and my friend gave me the main board from his P133 (with processor) I went dumpster diving and found RAM, managed to get a monitor from where I worked from stuff that they were throwing out.

the graphics adapter (onboard) had been damaged by a power surge, and one colour was damaged (I think no red)

but it let me at least get a screen where I was able to use DOS as an OS, I could use the Edit program to create plain text files that I could work on without needing to spend all my time in the library, and could work when the library was closed. writing up work in plain text files and then formatting reports on the university computers using word the following day ready to print and hand in.

My 1st computer I used was a apple computer, don't remember the model number...but it was the schools computer.

Anyways, someone got a hold of a boot leg copy of Ms. Pacman that we used to play on that computer.

The 1st computer I ever owned was a Commadore 64 computer. I loved that computer so much. It was so fun to play games on that.

And my second real computer I owned was a Compaq laptop that my girlfriend gave to me.

Mixx - You were so lucky to have a computer in school. For me, computers in schools didn't exist and I didn't get my first computer until several years AFTER I had graduated from college.

That's another item to add to the OTD list: No computer in school.

Wow, Nice Girlfriend!!

Yeah, she bought her self a brand new laptop and said I can keep hers. I offered to buy it from her, but she was like nope it's yours now.

I was all self taught on that lappy. All I know about computers was from reading books and watching video's on Youtube.

But most of my knowledge about computers was from trial and error. :)

Back
Top Bottom