You own a car? Care to share?

Except in the UK where we have common sense.. . . . .

Sorry guys, these big American pickup trucks are awful.
Of course you are entitled to your opinions and I won't say their wrong but I don't agree with them.
Wasn't the Ford Pickup (is it F150) the most popular car in the states or something?

Perhaps it's a fuel thing, a big truck like that would probably cost £100 a week in petrol over here.

Sorry to disappoint you but it also applies to your country since I converse with a UK Ranger forum & your people on our forums.
Rangers are getting popular in UK, maybe the price is out of your range.

You did not read my post well, the Rangers are very economical on diesel not petrol.

PS: The ranger is Australian design made in Thailand & South Africa.

My silver Ute is rear wheel drive 5 speed auto powered by a 4 litre 6 cylinder engine.
These models also come with 4 speed & 6 speed autos and all the manual gearboxes are 6 speed.
There are turbo 6 cyl models which out perform their V8 models.

I see you are familiar with Australian cars as GMH cars were exported to middle east countries from the 1970's as they are suitable for your environment.
I'm not really a Ford person as I have owned more Holdens than Fords.

These two photos of my Ford Ranger you can class as a truck
This model is the PX XLT Dual Cab Ute Diesel 3.2 litre 5 Cyl engine 6 speed Auto

The design of the ranger is based on Ford F truck
Mazda has identical truck with same running gear but body & interior cosmetics are different.

PS: To buy a high spec Ranger there is a 12 month waiting time as they are very popular world wide, this applies to all countries.

Good info there.

I'm actually only familiar with the Holdens that took the place of Chevrolet Caprice after it's demise in '96. And with all due respect to Holden, It was of less quality compared to original Caprice. But frankly, they had some really powerful engines. Specially the SS. This makes low build quality and high output engines for the Holdens and vice versa for the original Caprice. Depending on the user, it can be a fair trade.

I personally don't really like trucks, but I however know their worth and commend them for it.

Of course you are entitled to your opinions and I won't say their wrong but I don't agree with them.
Wasn't the Ford Pickup (is it F150) the most popular car in the states or something?

Perhaps it's a fuel thing, a big truck like that would probably cost £100 a week in petrol over here.

I don't like trucks as well. But I cannot let this cloud my judgement and neglect their uses.

This includes full size SUV's.

I don't like their economy, ride height, heavy weight and huge size, but I commend the suspension height, space and resistance to hits as it has thicker chases to withstand the size. This is an attempt for an objective analysis.

Oh, economy is not really a real problem here. Once again, fuel is cheaper than water. But still it is in comparison.

Last edited:
True we don't drive on the right side of the road but we call it left instead of wrong.

:eek:

That was... really cool.

Never thought of this word play before.

Just to clarify your point to non native English speakers; "right" is a potential ambigues word that could mean the opposite of "left" and also the opposite of "wrong" in this context.

It has other meanings too.

I can use this in one of my puns later on.

Sorry, didn't mean any disrespect in my previous post. Just wanted to repeat an old joke I thought was friendly. I just edited it.

Here are my 2 vehicles:

2005_2500HD.jpg

This first one is a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD with Duramax diesel engine. Crew cab to accommodate my family (4 kids). It's a real stump puller. I use it to pull a 30 ft. Travel Trailer. This is an actual pic of my truck.

Here's a pic of it with my RV:

rig1.jpg

Fuel mileage while towing trailer is about 10MPG but I can get over 20MPG on the highway when not towing.

06_pont_g6.jpg

This is just an image I found on the web but it's pretty close to mine (wheel's are different). Anyway, it's a 2006 Pontiac G6. This is the daily driver although I don't drive it everyday since I work from home nowadays. It's got a 200HP V6 in it, not a hotrod but plenty of power for passing and climbing hills. Gets decent gas mileage as well.

Last edited:
My mother-in-law has a 2-door G6 convertable (just like this one)
pontiac-g6-convertable-lrg.jpg

and a G8 (not exact, but close to this one).
2009_Pontiac_G8_GT_sedan_01.jpg

My silver Ute is rear wheel drive 5 speed auto powered by a 4 litre 6 cylinder engine.
These models also come with 4 speed & 6 speed autos and all the manual gearboxes are 6 speed.
There are turbo 6 cyl models which out perform their V8 models.

I see you are familiar with Australian cars as GMH cars were exported to middle east countries from the 1970's as they are suitable for your environment.
I'm not really a Ford person as I have owned more Holdens than Fords.

These two photos of my Ford Ranger you can class as a truck
This model is the PX XLT Dual Cab Ute Diesel 3.2 litre 5 Cyl engine 6 speed Auto

The design of the ranger is based on Ford F truck
Mazda has identical truck with same running gear but body & interior cosmetics are different.

PS: To buy a high spec Ranger there is a 12 month waiting time as they are very popular world wide, this applies to all countries.

The foreign Ranger is a bit smaller than the F-150. By quite a bit, actually. Bigger than the old Ranger we had in the states though.

The F-150 is one of the most popular vehicles in the world if not the most. 34,000,000 sales and counting. Fuel by you guys is ridiculously expensive. Right now, it's just under $3/gallon by me. Lots of my friends drive fullsize pickups. My old roommate drove a V10 F-250, still does. They are awesome for carrying things, which we do a lot. And they are built to last forever. Much more rugged than economy cars. And lots of fun to take on the trails, which we do pretty often.
My friend's z71 5.7L V8 with 33 inch mud tires gets about the same gas mileage as my V6 car (~20mpg).

American trucks are far from awful. They are purpose built, and they last. Sure there are city-slickers that use them for just commuting, but there are lots of people that use them for a lot more. And remember, America is a LOT bigger than the UK. We do a lot of long distance traveling. It's not uncommon to commute 40 miles to work each way. And it's a lot more comfortable in a big vehicle than the little go-karts driven in urban areas.

The foreign Ranger is a bit smaller than the F-150. By quite a bit, actually. Bigger than the old Ranger we had in the states though.

The F-150 is one of the most popular vehicles in the world if not the most. 34,000,000 sales and counting.
No. It's not.

the ford F-Series is the most popular car SERIES in the world, over 12 generations and a 1948 - present (65 year) life span for the model. and that number includes the Ranger trim specs also.

I drive that far to work (40 miles) in a little hatch back (compact car), and I'm fine with that.

Whilst I agree that there are people who may need utility vehicles, the majority do not... it's mildly funny, (though wholly irritating if you're stuck behind one) trying to watch two large SUV pick up styled trucks try to pass each other on roads that go through small UK market towns...
most people who seem to drive these have the worst of all worlds, they are driving a commercial vehicle, (classified by the chassis, not the use) so need to obey reduced speed limits. most seem to get the crew cab version, so they are neither family car nor true utility work vehicle, they are generally too wide for the roads of the areas that they are used in. (either that or "most" of their drivers lack basic spacial awareness) and with the crew cabbed version the pick-up beds usable space is reduced such that it's not really possible to carry much truly worthwhile or genuinely needing a pick-up truck for inside them...

Pick up trucks have their place (on working farms, for builders sites, etc.) but it seems that most people in the UK that get them are actually just posers who need to learn to drive a bit better.

Whilst I agree that there are people who may need utility vehicles, the majority do not... it's mildly funny, (though wholly irritating if you're stuck behind one) trying to watch two large SUV pick up styled trucks try to pass each other on roads that go through small UK market towns...
most people who seem to drive these have the worst of all worlds, they are driving a commercial vehicle, (classified by the chassis, not the use) so need to obey reduced speed limits. most seem to get the crew cab version, so they are neither family car nor true utility work vehicle, they are generally too wide for the roads of the areas that they are used in. (either that or "most" of their drivers lack basic spacial awareness) and with the crew cabbed version the pick-up beds usable space is reduced such that it's not really possible to carry much truly worthwhile or genuinely needing a pick-up truck for inside them...

Pick up trucks have their place (on working farms, for builders sites, etc.) but it seems that most people in the UK that get them are actually just posers who need to learn to drive a bit better.
This might be true in the UK but here in the US it's different.

In my case, I have a 30ft Travel Trailer weighing 10,000lbs that I tow so I need a truck with ample power and a fairly long wheelbase to tow that trailer adequately. Streets aren't that narrow in the US so that part isn't so much an issue. I needed a crew cab since I have 4 kids.

Crew cab trucks are available in long and short bed versions. I have the short bed because I don't really need to haul much, I need the towing capability coupled with the crew cab. If I could have gotten a Suburban with the same engine/transmission that I have in my pickup, I would have bought that instead. Prior to my truck, I had a Suburban with a large gas engine (7.4L V8). The gas engine had less power (struggled on steep grades), didn't pull as well and got poorer fuel mileage.

Back
Top Bottom