Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default Are you a grammar bully?

ive recently discovered my identity as a grammar bully. Im always correcting everyone all the time, dont always get kind replies either

although, it is frustrating for me to hear things like 'it happens more quickly'. im like its 'it happens quicker' dumba$s. toddler dialect may be acceptable in primary school, but im a geek so get over it

are you a grammar bully?

Old 02-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Default Re: Are you a grammar bully?

Umm... my corrections in bold:
Quote:
I've recently discovered my identity as a grammar bully. I'm always correcting everyone all the time, I don't always get kind replies either.

Although, it is frustrating for me to hear things like 'it happens more quickly'. I'm like its 'it happens quicker' dumba$s. Toddler dialect may be acceptable in primary school, but I'm a geek, so get over it.

Are you a grammar bully?
I can be. But if I'm going to be, I make sure my spelling and grammar are also up to scratch!

berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to tom-knox

Afraid so, got started on my vocab stickler-ism a few years back after reading "Eats, shoots, and leaves" and have been annoying friends ever since. People who use words incorrectly, punctuate in the wrong places or use poor grammar wind me up. I also happen to have rather a diverse vocabulary and that can lead to me saying things quite often that no one understands, i like it though, and I don't go all elitist with it, i look to teach others

Props to berry for doing what we were all typing up

New player: iPhone 4 32gb
tom-knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Yeah, I suppose really bad grammar irritates me. I wouldn't go around correcting other people's posts or flaming people over it, though. I would just ignore the post. I guess I was just born without the desire to impose my will onto other people.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to culexor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-knox View Post
Afraid so, got started on my vocab stickler-ism a few years back after reading "Eats, shoots, and leaves" and have been annoying friends ever since. People who use words incorrectly, punctuate in the wrong places or use poor grammar wind me up. I also happen to have rather a diverse vocabulary and that can lead to me saying things quite often that no one understands, I like it though, and I don't go all elitist with it, I look to teach others.

Props to berry for doing what we were all typing up
I usually correct people when they say 'good' when they should say 'well'. It started out as a joke but I found myself correcting anybody that said it.

Laptop: i5 430M 2.26Ghz, 4GB DDR3 1066, 500GB WD Blue, Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1GB (discrete)
culexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to tom-knox

Yup, another main one if mine is when people say, "me and david" when they mean "david and i"

New player: iPhone 4 32gb
tom-knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
Site Team

Since we're on the topic - a pet peeve of mine, and one people here might not have heard of:

Data is plural. "This data is" is completely wrong - it should be "These data are". The singular is datum.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

@Berry, I have reputedly 'impeccable' grammar when I write essays or communicate vocally, but when typing on the forums, I usually opt to forget myself and just type words.

However, since you pointed this out, I shall attempt to bully myself into good grammar for the time being.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to eslfish Send a message via MSN to eslfish Send a message via Yahoo to eslfish

I am not really a "bully" I just get annoyed when people don't spell words right/punctuation.
Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
eslfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
In Runtime

People yell at me for this. The worst thing in the wolrd is that everyone around me insists on saying, "Me and Mark are in love!!" I'd have to shout, "Mark and I!" What can I say, it's a mental condition.

hockeygoalie5 is offline   Reply With Quote