Xbox 360 falls into wrong hands

LOL!
Wonder which humor was wombats and which was alvinos...

Hey alvino....why do you have a custom avatar when you aren't a mod anymore?

Starr said:
It is fake. Right now I am look ing at the artice in the Times News article on the 360.

Ok, on the bottom of the Xbox do you see that black bar? Well in the article it is white and it appears to be two buttons. Also it looks in the article as if the top of the 360 is black or atleast the front part. The one the kid has isn't. I think it is fake.

The kid could have been BETA testing it if his dad worked their then just had a "brilliant" idea of showing off to the internet.

I believe that it is fake though.

THAT IS NOT THE FINAL PRODUCT! Do you ever see someone testing something, and it is the exact same as what the final product is layed out to be?

alvino said:
Actually, since the original Xbox uses a nVIDIA chip, and thre Xbox 360 uses a ATI chip, Microsoft would have to get emulation files for all the games that they want to have backwards compatible. It's not a matter of who makes the games.
I nearly knocked myself out whilst smacking my head against the wall...

The games are not written specifically for any graphics card. no games are, nor any specific chip for that matter...
everyone knows that the XBOX is basically a PC in a prettier case (hence the linux on xbox challenge...

you don't have to have entier games re-compiled for a different graphics card do you, (no).
the inside architecture will still be basically a PC, just with a lot better hardware than the original Xbox. there isn't really a lot of 'backwards compatibility' to put into it, and anything that there is, or was, to do regarding backwards compatibility will simply be hardware emulation that'll be done on chip.
there is no need to involve the games production companies at any point.

you don't think that when they put 16bit (windows 95) emulation into XP that they contacted everyone who'd ever written somftware for windows do you?

So far as the site that claims it's a fake.

Firstly, You'd expect different scan lines taking a picture at an angle or taking a picture straight on, (and at a closer distance!).

Secondly,
he stated quite clearly that the box he was using was an unfinished test machine, (hence the stickers and wires comming out of the top)...

Modded PS2 my arse!!! aside from anything else the original PS2 was larger than that machine.
and if he had modded a PS2 to look like an Xbox 2, why would he have left wires hanging out, why no LED ring, (about a 50p part). why stickers on it?

it's not good enough to be a mod of a different console, and it's too good to just be a model.
it's just about unfinished enough that it could geniunly be a beta development model that is actually being used by the people making it.

root said:
I nearly knocked myself out whilst smacking my head against the wall...

The games are not written specifically for any graphics card. no games are, nor any specific chip for that matter...
everyone knows that the XBOX is basically a PC in a prettier case (hence the linux on xbox challenge...

you don't have to have entier games re-compiled for a different graphics card do you, (no).
the inside architecture will still be basically a PC, just with a lot better hardware than the original Xbox. there isn't really a lot of 'backwards compatibility' to put into it, and anything that there is, or was, to do regarding backwards compatibility will simply be hardware emulation that'll be done on chip.
there is no need to involve the games production companies at any point.

you don't think that when they put 16bit (windows 95) emulation into XP that they contacted everyone who'd ever written somftware for windows do you?

Hardware emulation isn't a hard thing to do, considering that the 360 is almost 5 times as fast and powerful. Games for PC's are different. PC games can be played on any graphics card, but consoles are programmed to fully utilize the console's GPU. That is why Microsoft announced that the Xbox 360 will have limited backwards capability for the top selling Xbox games (Halo 2 etc.). The problem isn't in the hardware...it's in the software. That's why they're considering putting the emulation files pre-loaded into the 360's hard drive.

For more on the Xbox 360's backwards capability, read this:
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=5686

Well hehe, they've screwed that up haven't they, switching to ATI and all...

yeah, games are made to fully utilise the GPU in consoles, and thats why i've always thought consoles to have the capability of shelling out much better graphics than any PC can if a game is made for it, since it can be sure that its built especially for that machine.
So heres stating its as good as 2 6800's together or something. The graphics will look much better than they do in a PC game if they do it right... thats what I think anyway.

It is a shame about the incompatability though, but I was about to go with Root's idea until I saw Alvino's post, since I thought too that a video card shoudn't matter in all respects, but there we go, and I still think its a bit weird that they aren't compatable since even utilising different graphics cores, the graphics cores aren't all that different... Are they?

From the link:

"They have implemented compatibility purely through emulation (at the CPU level)",

That though... does this mean that the CPU will be rendering everything?... or that it will be shifting things back so the GPU can use it? I didn't think that any CPU could play a good graphics game in enough speed, though I knew the Cell could. Plus emulating a 733mhz chip.

Oh, and wait...what about the PS3? Will that still be able to be backward compatable? I don't know if the graphics card is the same you see since I didn't know much about the PS2...I'll stop talking now, hehe

Back
Top Bottom