Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-08-2007, 09:01 PM   #1
Fully Optimized
Send a message via MSN to Š88
Default Wow, this is crazy. A quantum computer!

08 February 2007
Quantum computer to debut next week

By Peter Judge, Techworld

Twenty years before most scientists expected it, a commercial company has announceda quantum computer that promises to massively speed up searches and optimisation calculations.

D-Wave of British Columbia has promised to demonstrate a quantum computer next Tuesday, that can carry out 64,000 calculations simultaneously (in parallel "universes"), thanks to a new technique which rethinks the already-uncanny world of quantum computing. But the academic world is taking a wait-and-see approach.

D-Wave is the world's only "commercial" quantum computing company, backed by more than $20 million of venture capital (there are more commercial ventures in the related field of quantum cryptography). Its stated aim is to eventually produce commercially available quantum computers that can be used online or shipped to computer rooms, where they will solve intractable and expensive problems such as financial optimisation.

It has been predicted that quantum computing will make current computer security obsolete, cracking any current cryptography scheme by providing an unlimited amount of simultaneous processing resources. Multiple quantum states exist at the same time, so every quantum bit or "qubit" in such a machine is simultaneously 0 and 1. D-Wave's prototype has only 16 qubits, but systems with hundreds of qubits would be able to process more inputs than there are atoms in the universe.

Scientists in the world's many quantum science departments are looking anxiously at whether the demonstration - linked to a computer museum in Mountain View California, will vindicate their work or cast doubt upon it.

"This is somewhat like claims of cold fusion," said Professor Andrew Steane of Oxford University's Centre for Quantum Computing. "I doubt that this computing method is substantially easier to achieve than any other."

Others are more enthusiastic: "I'll be a bit of a sceptic till I see what they have done," said Professor Seth Lloyd of MIT. "But I'm happy these guys are doing it." Lloyd is one of the scientists who helped develop the "adiabatic" model of quantum computing which D-Wave's system exploits - a method which D-Wave believes will sidestep the problems which have restricted progress in quantum computing so far.
For those who still aren't quite sure what a quantum computer is (because i didn't really know): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computer

And some pics....

Killing under the cloak of war is no different than murder

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lösung!
Š88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
Golden Master
Send a message via AIM to Cabbs
Default Re: Wow, this is crazy. A quantum computer!

Pretty crazy. Wonder what you will have to do for security now.

=Like anime? Come to AnimeAppeal.com!=
||DFI UT P35||Q9550@3400 Mhz||Geil 4GB RAM||Radeon 5770||
Cabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Wow, this is crazy. A quantum computer!

Thermaltake ARMOR/ mATX intelG33 Motherboard/4gb G.SKILL High Gaming Performance ddr2-1200/Radeon 3870 1gb edition/850w Thermaltake superduty psu

PokerDegenerate: Don't listen to these guys, I like the IDE makes it look vintage like a 68 Camaro SS...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote