Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-30-2007, 11:43 PM   #11
Fully Optimized

Default Re: wow....computer repair fraud

best buy charges $100 to install a single progra
one hundred dollars, not a mistype
seriously, bestbuy is the worst ripoff
heres a story
my dad and me go to buy a computer for my little brother, we buy him an HP laptop, the geek squad technician talks us into doing all this stuff, and we dont want to argue with him, they offer to "supercharge" which is code for uninstall all the shit they put on the computers at manufacturing and they offer to check to make sure everything is working properly, the geek squad "technician" took the computer back into the little dungeon in the back, we could see him, and he took out the computer power cord, battery, etc. and checked it out, it took him 40 minutes to do this, so a) major waste of time, he checked off on the list, everything was functional, signed it gave it back to us

fast forward:
christmas morning, my lil bro gets excited, new laptop, opens it up, plugs it in, wont work, power cords fried, they didnt check it out like they said, me and my dad go in dec 26, pissed off, go back, SAME GUY WORKING, he says "it was working when he brought it in, we get manager, show him signature" geek squad "technician"=fired, and we got a printer for free , best buy is very good at correcting ther mistakes, but ther staff just sucks ass

Old 01-30-2007, 11:48 PM   #12
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs

Anyone notice the guy in the beginning screwing up his words?

Edit: Reminds me of when our old Athlon XP 1.4 was having some weird problems. We took it to Best Buy, and they wanted $100 to fix it, while Compusa wanted $50. It seemed like a good deal, but all they did was reformat it. At least he was honest. But this was before I really knew anything about computers, so I didn't really know. The guy was cool though, he let me into the tech room and we listened to Bill Cosby and stuff while my dad went home and got the Windows disk from home.

BTW, keep carbonated drinks away from keyboards, my "M" key is sticking like a mofo because of the Full Throttle I spilled on it

Old 01-30-2007, 11:55 PM   #13
Fully Optimized

I don't like repair shops. They overcharge. An example, Best buy as boardordi3 said which charges 100 bucks to install one program. Another example is dell on call, they charge 99 dollars just to tell you how to set up a printer, you can go to google for FREE and acquire this knowledge. Another example is how geeksquad (best buy) charges 250 to install an operating system, what could they possibly do that's worth 250 dollars and better than anyone here can do? to get it done in the store is 129 which is still outrageous, why not buy a copy of it and install it yourself and save a few hundred dollars?

I hate how companies overcharge like that. I like helping people and I don't charge for it. I have gotten paid one or twice and was thankful, but I don't charge because people shouldn't have to fork out a few hundred dollars to have their PC fixed.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:32 AM   #14
Daemon Poster

i liked the store/company that figured it out right and because it was so easy, did it for free. but wow, those other stores/companies
| Intel Pentium D 820 2.80GHz(Smithfield) | EVGA 780i | EVGA GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 |4GB Corsair 800 | WDCaviar 250GB | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro(w/ arctic silver 5) | Ultra 500w X-Finity Power Supply w/ 120mm Fan | Antec P180B. | Windows Vista Home Premium | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic | Dell Ultrasharp 22" Flatscreen Monitor

Macbook Pro 15" Unibody. 2GB Ram 250GB HDD Leopard
Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:15 AM   #15
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

Lots of places overcharge you for services that are easily done by yourself. I remember some locations of Circuit City had flyers out saying that they could 'upgrade' your Xbox 360 so that it would be backwards compatible with old Xbox games for something like $20. If consumers were smart they would realize that you could easily download the drivers through Xbox Live for FREE.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:27 AM   #16
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner

Haha, when I built my first PC, I had a minor problem similar to that (didn't notice the 4 pin cable wasn't plugged into the motherboard) so we took it to PC club, they took care of it and didn't charge us anything.. while we were there we bought some speakers.. and they have since been nice to us.. killer deal on some parts lol
MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:33 AM   #17
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Nik00117 Send a message via MSN to Nik00117 Send a message via Yahoo to Nik00117

I'd of fixed that for 40 bucks. Prob do it for 20.

Hell if I was doing good business i'd do it for free.

That kind of a fix is so utterly simple. One of the first things I do when I get a PC besides a visual basic inspection is to put down on everything GPU, RAM, Cables, Etc.

Best Buy sucks, I once asked a Best Buy employee if I could SLI two routers together to get better performance. He promptly answered my question saying it aws possible. Even went as far as to explain how to do it.

I decided not to comfornt him with the facts laughed and walk out.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:04 AM   #18
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

Better than Fry's Electronics. At least Best Buy employees aren't on commission, therefore they don't hound over you.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:11 AM   #19
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremezx2
i wouldn't lump in all repair shops with that, notice the small town type shop did it for free. usually what we do where i work, a lot of times small stuff like that we just do it up on the counter right there with the customer.
I always get a guy in from a tiny tiny local shop, called "Chips" the workshop is very cramped yet he did a major repair on my desktop, & I had it back the next day, I don't go anywhere else, it's brilliant!
Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:00 AM   #20
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to Steff

We have a Chips here, sells computer games etc?

Steff is offline   Reply With Quote