Would you be satisfied if your computer or device lasted for five years?

Yes.
My belief is if not broken & does the job then it is OK, yes a lot of my equipment is over 5 years old and will only buy new if & when required.

I do not buy new to replace old just to say that I have the latest product, waste of money especially when what is new today is old tomorrow.

I have a AMD single core processor, 2GB RAM, 250 GB hard drive, running windows 7 - hooked up to my TV to use as a media player. Runs great for what I need it to. It's about 8-10 years old now. It's just starting to show it's age because I try to use it to watch the WatchESPN channel online, and it is very blurry, put if I hook up my iPad it is crystal clear. So that tells me the iPad has more processing power then the PC....in fact I hooked up my iPhone the other day and it was clear too so I literally have more processing power in my pocket then my computer does. :rofl:

Wow, what are the specs of that? I thought I was doing well with my 4 year old Dell Inspiron 1525. Glad it's still working!

Intel core2duo 1.6
2gigs ram
80gig HD
945 vid chip
Altec Lansing speakers
IR remote for media play
14" lcd screen

The battery won't hold a charge worth a poop but as old as it is what ya expect? Battery Plus has the 12 cell replacement fo 99.99 USD. I'm going to snarf that up in a couple of weeks.

I don't think I've ever had a computer or device that didn't last at least 5 years, meaning that they were still functioning after 5 years. I have replaced items in less than 5 years but mainly because I wanted to, not because I needed to.

I have 30 year old computers that still function but aren't really useful to run any modern software.

I have 30 year old computers that still function but aren't really useful to run any modern software.
Yes I had a quite a few vintage Atari, commodore, Amiga,Tandy,
IBM's, 286's,386's, 486's & early pentiums computers with software all in working condition.... Gave them to a local charity to auction off which raised considerable funds for needy children.
Last I heard they were going into a good home (Museum) which I prefered.

Kinda miss them but they needed a better home that I could offer.

2gig...
2gig...
2gig...

SHEIT JUST GOT REAL. O.O

Lol. Just kidding. I had two gigs on mine, but I don't have the stomach for lreaving expansion slots open like that. Every computer I get, I try to max out the ram, I mean.

Also, yeah, a modem is kind of sucky, but I'm not certain if the old girl can handle a modern broadband set-up. I wouldn't even know where to begin hooking that up to a computer that, for all intents and purposes, still uses Terminal Graphics. With a modem, I'd at least be able to use Lynx. :p

I'm still running a core 2 duo at around 2.4ghz, 4gb of Ram, and an Nvidia 8800GTS 512mb. I formatted it about a year ago and haven't installed a game since, I just don't play them anymore. I use the computer for internet, movies, music, light solid modeling, some Matlab, and that's about it. It's about 6 years old and works perfect for everything I do.
The only issue I have is that 1080p videos skip on youtube sometimes. I can play 1080p movies fine, which makes me suspect it's some sort of software issue, not hardware.

Tbh with phones since I have been on contract I have had 24month contracts to I get a new phone every 22/23 months , however Ive got a backup phone in the cupboard , sony ericsson K800i which I think is about 4/5 years old still works solid .

I have an i pod video 5th gen from about 2005/6 thats still going strong , changed the battery out since i got it and it still works as good as the day I got it , no need to change or upgrade if you ask me

Ive still got Hard drives in my computer from 08 as well although Ive upgraded mobo and processor since then because of a mobo failure and I upgraded gpu because I have one very generous friend . I wont be majorly upgrading my desktop till stuff breaks Im just not as bit a computer guy anymore .

Tbh im kind of hoping my Macbook pro will last me more than 5 years especially seeing as i just use it for word processing internet and multimedia stuff now . when it breaks im probs gonna get a macbook air or simillar .

Hello,
I still have this Sony-Ericcson K750i i bought in 2006. I still use it from time to time. Also, I still use as a router, an old Fujitsu Ergopro @600Mhz. It must have at least 10 yrs. So, 5 yrs? Please...at least that!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom