Win 8.1

... Anyway, I haven't found even one feature in win 8, that I actually like. Win 7 is still perfect for me.
That's an odd statement since probably 90% of Win 8's features are the exact same as in Win 7!

Did you mean to say you didn't like any of the new features of Win 8?

I've observed that the majority of people that don't like Win 8 dislike it because there's no Start menu. If you're one that has to have a Start menu then download and install ClassicShell.

The next most disliked thing seems to be the Start screen and Modern apps. Both of these are optional so if you don't like them then don't use them. Use the option that allows you to boot direct to the desktop and you don't ever need to see the Start screen or use any Modern apps.

The next thing that see people complain about is the Charms bar that pops out from the right-side of the screen. It doesn't bother me, I thought it was actually pretty innovative. The complaints I've heard have to do with the Charms appearing when they weren't wanted. There is a setting to make it so that moving the mouse pointer to the upper-right corner doesn't show the Charms which I think cuts down on that a lot.

Not sure if this addressed any of your concerns but hopefully there's something that will be of value.

My non-techie sister bought a new laptop with Win 8.1. I had her install ClassicShell and change it so it boots direct to the desktop. She has no problem using her new laptop that way.

Last edited:
Anyway, I haven't found even one feature in win 8, that I actually like. Win 7 is still perfect for me.
What about everything being fast to access when you right click on the start button?

That nearly makes up for the invisible start button that you need to fumble in a corner for, that if you try actually clicking in the middle of the button that appears just disappears and launched whatever you have pinned to the start menu there...

It took me about a year of using the search and typing logout in the box before I realised that you right clicked your name to logout, since they removed logout from the other "I'm done using windows" power related options...

Yeah windows 8 sucks big hairy balls... And windows 7 is a lot better.

This is a very useful feature. I've already found myself trying to do this on win 7 machines out of habit.

Hold on, you guys actually like that feature? I can't stand it and tried to disable it. It's annoying and just gets in my way. It's a feature I like on my phone. It's actually one of the features is dislike most on win 8...

Maybe we're not all talking about the same thing. I'm referring to the right-click on the start button that pulls up all the control panel items and run, taskman, computer mgmt, etc. You don't like that?

Yeah I agree, that right click is pretty useful, I think Windows 8 gets a bit more stick than it deserves. Overall it's not a bad performing OS, I've had worse!

Yeah I agree with you on this 100%. Microsoft thought that a start screen was a good idea instead of a traditional desktop and that users could do without a start menu. If you want to get technical there is technically still a start menu if you count clicking on the start button. I like the new look they gave to Windows, It freshened things up and I liked the new and improved task manager which is so much easier to use.

I do like how Microsoft is giving everything they are trying red hot go and not giving up despite all the criticism they get. Their own Windows Phone platform hasn't taken off like they expected but they've released fully fledged Office for iOS, Android and online in the browser and soon Cortana.

Back
Top Bottom