Why I Learned How To Build My Computer

$580 to fix the freaking harddrive!?! Damn son I thought Geeksquad was a ripoff but i mean seriously for that much money why not just go buy SEVERAL 1TB HDDs?

This make me think of a friend of mine. He had a TV that he really liked, it was in one of those solid wood cabnets. He carted that TV to probably 6 or 7 different places, paying too much at each place, and getting the TV back working but failing shortly later. A bunch of different parts were replaced. Sometimes the same part as the last TV repair place. After months, and I don't know how many dollars, he took it to this grungy hole-in-the-wall repair shop with TVs and junk scattered all over the place. The guy there fixed it in a couple days for something like $25 and the thing worked perfectly after that. It was funny because the other places had impressive shops, lots of techs, and alway the up front charge to check the TV out but the "little guy" with his hole in the wall shop was the competent and honest one.

My TV kept getting damaged by brownouts way out in the country. I too found a little hole in the wall shop that fixed it and told me what was causing it. Seems he was an electrician for a contracting outfit by day and ran his shop by night. Seems a loose ground on the house meter was the culprit.
He hit that one spot on.
He got a lot of referrals from me after that. 3 bucks for the part and 15 bucks labor by the way to fix my Mitsubishi 30". Not bad...

Good for the one geek squad getting it right and not charging them. But another thing that some people here might miss is that if they did that and the person was satisfied and a complete noob to computers they will now think that geek squad is always like that and if they had gone to that other one and been told that it was that huge problem they are going to believe them because of their past experience with them.

It is sad that they are so crooked some places and so good in others. once you have a good experience with them you almost expect it everytime which is why they make so much money I guess.

Back
Top Bottom