Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Prodigy146 Send a message via MSN to Prodigy146 Send a message via Yahoo to Prodigy146
Default Why I Learned How To Build My Computer

http://www.kptv.com/video/19513766/index.html

Prodigy146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to culexor
Default Re: Why I Learned How To Build My Computer

I've always hated GeekSquad. But there are some people that I know personally that would rather get overcharged by them than have me fix it for them for free.

My dad's ex-girlfriend wanted a wireless network set up, but she refused to have me do it ($45 router + free labor), so she went with Geeksquad and paid $150 for the router, $50 for each computer to be plugged in (well one was a notebook), and then $80 for labor. I'm glad my dad left her lol.

Laptop: i5 430M 2.26Ghz, 4GB DDR3 1066, 500GB WD Blue, Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1GB (discrete)
culexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by culexor View Post
I've always hated GeekSquad. But there are some people that I know personally that would rather get overcharged by them than have me fix it for them for free.

My dad's ex-girlfriend wanted a wireless network set up, but she refused to have me do it ($45 router + free labor), so she went with Geeksquad and paid $150 for the router, $50 for each computer to be plugged in (well one was a notebook), and then $80 for labor. I'm glad my dad left her lol.
LMFAO!

Yeah.. You can have some of my friends if you want... I'm ALWAYS being asked "Hey dude can you fix this for me?" whether if be myspace code a picture or setting up a network..

"If that guy knew half the $h*t that I know, his fuzzy little head would explode. " - Matthew Farrell
vampist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to jdrum10j

Quote:

What a rip.

Sounds like she had money to throw away. Maybe you could have cashed in on that?
jdrum10j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
I applied at GeekSquad.

I'll be one of those who charges nothing to fix no-brainer problems. Unless, of course, they can fire me for such things.
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken

Quote:

Haha... I've had the exact opposite luck.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to culexor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
I applied at GeekSquad.

I'll be one of those who charges nothing to fix no-brainer problems. Unless, of course, they can fire me for such things.
Yeah, I thought about applying there, but I decided against it because I don't agree with their ways of ripping people off. I found a local computer repair store that I have been to several times before and I'm thinking about applying there.

Laptop: i5 430M 2.26Ghz, 4GB DDR3 1066, 500GB WD Blue, Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1GB (discrete)
culexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:40 PM   #8
Guru

In this world, business is business.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:14 AM   #9
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to FlightSimBoy

I also applied for my local Geek Squad and I refuse to rip people off like that. I'd reconnect anything in a computer for free if it was easy to find (HD cable, drive cable, RAM, power connector, etc...)

The prices Geek Squad have are ridiculous. I would be tempted to tell a customer to find a better store and get it done cheaper, or better yet, drop it off at my house and I'll fix it for a much lower price. Of course I would lose my job that way if I had it, but this world isn't fair. Never is.
My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
FlightSimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:28 AM   #10
Guru

If I owned a business in which fixing a computer (a problem that required more than just plugging in a cable) could bring in loads of cash regardless of whether I'd be ripping someone off or not I would keep on going. Money is money my friend. Why will I be nice to everyone when I know most of the population won't be nice back to me? The world is competitive and I'm just realizing how much so. I will show no mercy.

edit: My well-being comes before the well-being of others.