This is why I cannot have any friends around where I live...

this conversation reminds me of a story that I was told by a mate of mine, he in turn was told by his martial arts teacher.

I can't recall exactly what it is so here's an approximate retelling.

It's in ancient Japan and there is this wise old Mr Miyage type guy who is the local revered expert in martial arts. every decade or so he takes in only the brightest and best graduates from other martial arts teachers, they are the "chosen ones" so to speak who get the privilege of learning from his lifetime of mastering.

so one day one of his chosen students is walking through town and for some reason there is a horse in the town, (either there is some kind of stable, or black smith or something), and as the student is walking past that back of the horse, the horse is spooked, and immediately and without warning kicks out at the guys chest with lethal speed and force.

the student with all his training and skills as quick as a flash with cat like reflexes immediately ducks out of the way, with some astonishing matrix like moves avoids the horses kick returns to his upright position and keeps walking not phased at all by the experience.

Obviously the guy becomes the talk of the town, he's clearly the brightest and best student ever, eventually word of this astonishing reflex and ability gets back to the grand master, who immediately dismisses the guy as a failure.

nobody can understand this, the guy had inhuman like reflexes, how could he possibly be dismissed as a failure?

Some time later the old grand master is walking through the town, and seeing that he's walking down the same street as the student once did a couple of people slow down what they are doing and stop to see what will happen to the grand master in this situation.

He sees the blacksmiths stable and crosses the road.

The moral of the story of course is that you learn the skills and reflexes etc as your weapon of last resort and should go out of your way to avoid using them.

this conversation reminds me of a story that I was told by a mate of mine, he in turn was told by his martial arts teacher.

I can't recall exactly what it is so here's an approximate retelling.

It's in ancient Japan and there is this wise old Mr Miyage type guy who is the local revered expert in martial arts. every decade or so he takes in only the brightest and best graduates from other martial arts teachers, they are the "chosen ones" so to speak who get the privilege of learning from his lifetime of mastering.

so one day one of his chosen students is walking through town and for some reason there is a horse in the town, (either there is some kind of stable, or black smith or something), and as the student is walking past that back of the horse, the horse is spooked, and immediately and without warning kicks out at the guys chest with lethal speed and force.

the student with all his training and skills as quick as a flash with cat like reflexes immediately ducks out of the way, with some astonishing matrix like moves avoids the horses kick returns to his upright position and keeps walking not phased at all by the experience.

Obviously the guy becomes the talk of the town, he's clearly the brightest and best student ever, eventually word of this astonishing reflex and ability gets back to the grand master, who immediately dismisses the guy as a failure.

nobody can understand this, the guy had inhuman like reflexes, how could he possibly be dismissed as a failure?

Some time later the old grand master is walking through the town, and seeing that he's walking down the same street as the student once did a couple of people slow down what they are doing and stop to see what will happen to the grand master in this situation.

He sees the blacksmiths stable and crosses the road.

The moral of the story of course is that you learn the skills and reflexes etc as your weapon of last resort and should go out of your way to avoid using them.
Nice way of retelling the Karate kid, but that is not how real life works.

You will not take from me what is rightfully mine.
You will not tell lies about me.
And you will not lay hands apon me.

Any violation of these and you're in for a major ass stomping.

Nice way of retelling the Karate kid, but that is not how real life works.
that story is nothing like the karate kid. (any of the Karate kids films)

The only thing like it is that it involves some wizened old man teaching self defence.

The moral of the story is that it is better to do anything that you can to avoid conflict than to get caught up and need to defend yourself.

Clearly this is a life skill that you lack, and that is why you seem to get involved in fights.

Unless you are a paid soldier there is always the option to walk away.

that story is nothing like the karate kid. (any of the Karate kids films)

The only thing like it is that it involves some wizened old man teaching self defence.

The moral of the story is that it is better to do anything that you can to avoid conflict than to get caught up and need to defend yourself.

Clearly this is a life skill that you lack, and that is why you seem to get involved in fights.

Unless you are a paid soldier there is always the option to walk away.
I get the moral, but please do not assume that I am above walking away from a conflict. I dont like people getting hurt. The amount of fights that I have been in have been due to others. They make the first move, and I do not allow them to make a second one. It really is that simple.
Please do not assume that because I am young, that I am simple minded. I do not allow words to translate into violence. In fact, that is one thing that I was always taught.
I know that it was from the movie because of the following...

It's in ancient Japan and there is this wise old Mr Miyage

However if that was not intended then I am willing to admit that I am wrong.

However, I do wish to repeat the same thing that I said before. I do not start fights. Ever. I have been in a few, but in most cases when the conversation is about to turn to blows, I walk away if the person will allow it. I do not turn my back to a possible threat, but please do not make assumptions unless you are sure.

I'm not sure what this conversation has to do with the ability for you to have friends where you live.

I studied Tae-Kwon-Do in Korea when I was in the Army and stationed there. Because I tore up my knee, I didn't achieve black belt but did make red belt which was the belt just below black. IMO, I was better trained than a typical black belt from a US dojo.

In the 40 years since I studied Tae-Kwon-Do, I have NEVER been in a fight. My martial arts training gave me confidence to stand my ground but fortunately, I've never actually had to defend myself. I'm a big guy, just under 6 ft and weigh 225 so people don't usually pick fights with me anyway.

The closest thing to a fight was while I was still in the Army. A bunch of us were given the task of cleaning out a storage closet. One of the guys found 2 pr of boxing gloves and asked if anyone wanted to box. He was a big guy, 6'3" and 240 or so. No one would accept his challenge. I had never boxed but had done plenty of sparring so took him up on the challenge. We went for about 2 minutes before the Sarge came in and broke us up. Afterwards people were telling me what I had done wrong and how I should have done this or that. Personally, I thought I did pretty good since the other guy didn't lay a glove on me and he ended up with a bloody nose!

Anyway, from my point of view, you really need to be looking for a fight to get in one. There may be rare occasions where you need to defend yourself from an aggressor but those times are pretty rare.
First of all, even though you probably hear this a lot, I truly mean it when I say thank you for your service/help.

Its not just that one guy that keeps me from being able to have friends around where I live. But before he started his crap, he seemed like a good guy to get to know.
Everyone else around here I do not trust. Drug related arrests happen a lot, and the police are called almost on a daily basis. I do not trust my neighbors, or really anyone else that lives around here.

I was buying a brand of alcohol, when I talked to by someone who wanted to know if I would like to buy weed from him. Please note that I do not have a problem with anyone who smokes it. as I will if given the chance. (That does not happen often, but I will partake with you if offered, and contribute to the cost.) My main problem was that this person was so open about it. If I want to buy, I will find someone to buy from. I really did not enjoy being approached in that way, but it shows what this neighborhood is like. So it really was upsetting to me to find that the one person who seamed to be friendly would act the way that they did.

Where do you live? I think the last time I was offered any type of drug or weed for purchase was when I was in college back in the late 1970's. If I wanted to buy something I could probably find a neighborhood where it was available but not in the neighborhood I live in or where I hang out.

Its not just that one guy that keeps me from being able to have friends around where I live. But before he started his crap, he seemed like a good guy to get to know.

Try and advise him :)

Good friends care for each other and advise each other. Be as polite as possible to him in it. No one is perfect and we cannot customize people to meet our preferences perfectly.

I don't have many friend, but the ones I have I don't leave easily.

Hmm, I feel like a social adviser :)

Back
Top Bottom