Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Why do computer towers have to be boxy and such...

I was thinking, what if we did some other kind of shape, like for instance I had an idea of making a radial symmetry type of a setup, where say your mother board somehow can mount all the other parts, in a radial fashion. The boards of course would be mounted in a way that they were perpendicular to the ground, so that you could have one single large fan on top to cool these, the boards' themselves could act as radiator fins. Mind you the boards would be stationary of course. I could sketchup a computer model of this idea.

Or if say we made em like this idea but they would be setup like a waterwheel fashion, the case could be a hexagonal shape. (you could slot them together to combine computing power) or something....

I don't know any thoughts? I'm looking to build my own computer sometime in the future with overclocked parts and such to keep price down to the low. But I would probably feature a huge fan inside, a single fan and perhaps a backup below

GreenAce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Default Re: Why do computer towers have to be boxy and such...

Have a look around and you'll see loads of mods, not all of them are in the same old kind of box by any stretch of the imagination!

You can find a few different examples here.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs

It's probably more difficult to manufacture curved parts rather than square parts. I don't see a cooling advantage that way either. Mounting heatsinks could pose a problem. With your big fan idea, you could apply that to any case if you flipped it on it's side or if you picked up a HTPC case.

There's more to cooling than just moving a lot of air with fans. You need to be able to get the heat to the air first. For example, you could have 100 CFM fans all around your case but it wouldn't matter if you were had the stock heatsink on your CPU.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to Š88

It all relates to standardization. It's simpler for manufacturers of various computer components to conform to a single, simple design. Just imagine if you were a video card vendor who had to design their card to match motherboards and cases of various shapes.

Or are you just saying that we should abandon the box shape entirely and adopt something new?

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lösung!
Š88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
Solid State Member

well it's not creating the chips or boards to be curved but mounting them in a curved fashion. I guess something has to be curved though for the rest to be mounted on.
GreenAce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAce92 View Post
I was thinking, what if we did some other kind of shape, like for instance I had an idea of making a radial symmetry type of a setup, where say your mother board somehow can mount all the other parts, in a radial fashion. The boards of course would be mounted in a way that they were perpendicular to the ground, so that you could have one single large fan on top to cool these, the boards' themselves could act as radiator fins. Mind you the boards would be stationary of course. I could sketchup a computer model of this idea.

Or if say we made em like this idea but they would be setup like a waterwheel fashion, the case could be a hexagonal shape. (you could slot them together to combine computing power) or something....

I don't know any thoughts? I'm looking to build my own computer sometime in the future with overclocked parts and such to keep price down to the low. But I would probably feature a huge fan inside, a single fan and perhaps a backup below
Sounds like you are describing this case:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...1%28ME%29.aspx
Old 02-19-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to tom-knox

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
Have a look around and you'll see loads of mods, not all of them are in the same old kind of box by any stretch of the imagination!

You can find a few different examples here.
The number 1 there, the manga one doesn't look right, not the subject matter, but the picture, anyone know what i mean?

New player: iPhone 4 32gb
tom-knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:48 PM   #8
Daemon Poster

Not exactly what you are looking for but I thought it may be of interest for this topic.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...hassis_unboxed

Legodude522 is offline   Reply With Quote