Who drives a manual transmission here?

I have a 1996 Ford ranger. I love that truck.

Now speak on the other hand, we have quite a few tractors that all manual. :)

Lol stick shift is fun... All my car's have been stick shift. I can't stand driving automatic, it feels like I don't have as much control over the car. I have a 94 eclipse that's my side car and my DD which is a 92 nissan sentra (SE-R! FAST! lol)

I used to always watch my dad drive and ask him simple little questions when he would take me to school and first time i drove it, perfect. not one stall, no burn outs, no bogging. I was proud of myself =D lol

'97 Neon...love it.

Learned in an old Super Beetle...that was interesting. To get it into reverse, you had to push straight down(vertically) on the shifter. Who the heck thought of that?

I'm learning on a Manual, and I wouldn't even consider changing to an automatic.

It's a great feeling, changing up through the gears.

Yeah, manual just gives you a greater sense of driving the car.
Imagine having a Ferrari with a automatic gear box, instead of that flippy thing they have. I couldn't.

Manual cars probably also don't break down as much. The more you leave things to electronics, the more that can go wrong.

I think even though this forum is UK based, most people are in fact from around the U.S

I have a manual car and bus license. But I have enjoyed a few cars with auto gearbox's

In my opinion; it takes stuff away from driving having an automatic

How does it take stuff away?

Ok with a manual motor you have a conventional gearbox with a clutch. Lets forget the gearbox right now and concentrate on the clutch. It's the device that disconnects the engine output from the gearbox and allows you to change gear and more importantly stop the car without stalling the engine. The great thing with a clutch is you can vary the power transfer between engine and gearbox from 0% to 100%. It gives a very direct power transfer.

With an auto box' you have an epicyclic gear train with a torque converter. And it's the torque converter that makes driving an auto a little less 'direct'. The torque converter, or fluid coupling, like the clutch; allows the car to come to a stop without stalling. Not so much about changing gears here. One half of the TC is connected to the engine and the other half to the gearbox. Inside both halves of the TC are fins and the whole lot is immersed in oil. So the half connected to the engine spins, flings oil to the other half connected to the gearbox and this transfers power but not 100%. This action creates elasticity in the transmission which is what people refer to being 'less direct' and is felt via the accelerator pedal. The upside of this elastic feeling is the fact that the bigger speed difference between the two halves of the TC the more it multiplies torque through-put. Also the gearbox in an automatic changes gears quicker than the average manual user and the later versions locked up both halves after 2nd or 3rd to improve the TC's efficiency.

The newer auto boxes overcome this elastic feeling by doing away with the TC and using a dry actuated clutch giving you quick auto gear changes but with 100% power transfer from engine to gearbox.

Imagine having a Ferrari with a automatic gear box, instead of that flippy thing they have. I couldn't.

That flappy paddle is in fact less favored by enthusiasts. A proper gearbox with a clutch is what they prefer rather than a gearbox/clutch controlled by illogical electronics.

To be fair the modern auto boxes are just as good as the manuals and some manufactures make better auto's than manuals...... Mercedes and Nissan/Toyota?

My brother's Passat is an automatic, and has some kind of dual clutch system, which I dont fully understand. It's supposed to make changes smoother & more efficient..

I drive one of these:
IH%20Farmall%20Super%20M800.jpg

It's a 5 speed.

Back
Top Bottom