Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-28-2007, 11:00 PM   #21
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Where are u guys learning all this computer stuff from?

this forum, and a few other sites, and just random research here and there.

| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:04 PM   #22
Fully Optimized

Mostly all hands on stuff I do. I get a lot of older PCs, so I've run into many problems to fix. I don't learn a whole bunch for anyone else, maybe a bit form the forum from time to time. As for keeping up with new technology...best PC I got has a P4 2.8GHz, I don't know too much about the newer stuff other than when I read on the forums, though it doesn't help a whole bunch considering I don't have the technology.

Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:07 PM   #23
Golden Master

I don't have the newer stuff either. Everything I learn are strictly from reviews. Oh yeah, that's another thing. Read up on websites for reviews for each hardware. Sometime just listening to other people's experiences help you gain a lot of insight.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:08 PM   #24
BSOD

<---Self Taught and Had a lot of 'training' through prior employment. Also, I read a lot of books. Seriously, sybex, oreilly, e-books on -->CCNA,MCSE & MCSA, C.I.S.S.P, etc...

lots of hacking books, and stuff from the net. This site, antionline.com & setting up my own WLAN and breaking into it
0x0161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:01 AM   #25
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

I taught myself a lot. My job also helped me pick up things that books never seem to cover (mostly things in the examples for later use department). The "Books for Dummies" series is a great tool. Check them out.

I also got a magazine subscription from my grandpa for Smart Computing. They review some hardware things, look into some future things, and help people with their computer problems.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:24 AM   #26
Daemon Poster

mostly from this forum, building my own comp, screwing around with computers, and magazines
| Intel Pentium D 820 2.80GHz(Smithfield) | EVGA 780i | EVGA GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 |4GB Corsair 800 | WDCaviar 250GB | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro(w/ arctic silver 5) | Ultra 500w X-Finity Power Supply w/ 120mm Fan | Antec P180B. | Windows Vista Home Premium | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic | Dell Ultrasharp 22" Flatscreen Monitor

Macbook Pro 15" Unibody. 2GB Ram 250GB HDD Leopard
Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:00 AM   #27
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

I learned hands on. My father in law gave me my first computer, an old 66MHz 486, which I promptly tore apart to see what was in it and how it all went together. From there I started upgrading and then on to building entire systems. I picked up most of my info from asking lots of questions and reading tech magazines and stuff off the internet.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:44 AM   #28
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Magazines, forums, and doing comptia and MS exams.
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:51 AM   #29
muz
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
I taught myself a lot. My job also helped me pick up things that books never seem to cover (mostly things in the examples for later use department). The "Books for Dummies" series is a great tool. Check them out.

I also got a magazine subscription from my grandpa for Smart Computing. They review some hardware things, look into some future things, and help people with their computer problems.
I find there is loads of stuff you learn from hands on that books and classes dont cover.Mostly when you experiment and things go wrong though

If you do want to get into computers the best thing to do though is this
Get an old PC from somewhere ebay or somewhere else . Something around the 30 ($60) mark will do something like a p3 and then take it apart see what its running google up the part names and see what upgrades you can carry out etc and just generally have a fiddle about with it see what you can learn .This will probably will teach you more than any book as it will be hands on . I said to buy a pc cos i wouldnt realy do this to my home PC if i had no knowledge in case you bust it up
Old 07-29-2007, 02:18 PM   #30
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiccolo22 View Post
Yeah basically what the title says, just curious as to where u guys learn all this info and keep up to date with the computer world. I'd like to get in on it too . Kinda sick of being nooby and since having a good computer that also runs well is important to me
I learned by screwing around with computers all day at high school for 5 years. Notice highschool shoulda been 4 years. I maintained wifi access points, a mac network, and a long time ago a small pc network, than also did a fileserver.

And than I have forums, than I read books, and now I work with computers all day.

DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote