where do old pc's go?

5 1/4 is the real size

I usually make a run...sometimes, I find old 386, Pentiums... Mostly the ugly ASUS looking board with AT PSUs. Well, they are all from arange of 40MHZ to 166MHZ. The latest I found is a 486/SX 133MHZ, with a screen built in. I took apart the screen for the 80mm fan, hung the mobo with CPU and threw the CD drive (the thing wasn't even working so..),kept floppy and hard drive. The hard drive is a 1.2GB..but it is working shaky...it has power troubles.

The latest find Yesterday) was a Pentium 100 with a 850MB HDD (Works and loaded with Win98). Needless to say, I took it apart, kept the CD drive and will hang the mobo. I also kept the 70ns RAM. I also kept the video card and a Soundblaster 16.

neodude112320 said:
I live in australia and were i live twice a year everybody in our area put out all there junk so that the garbage trucks pick it all up 2 take it to tha tip,so when everybody puts them out,i pick up all the computers and use them and ussually strip them,the best computer i found had a p3 800 Mh processor wit a 10 gb hdd
well, thats the problem. i missed out. spring cleaning was a few weeks ago. so im screwed.

ArrizX said:
How much is almost for free... I may have something for you! Pm me if you are interested.
okay. i think i will

The best PCs are during the summer time...I found a 1GHZ machine. It will hit it's year old with me June 25th.

Dude, don't just go PC cruisin...I found a working 17" monitor...a complete giveaway man! I also found some nice stereo speakers and some other things. I remember when I use to do WorkStudy, the guys were throwing out 120GB HDDs and some others passing the 30GB line...bad sectors. I picked them up and they run good.

ya. i found a 25" tv that worked!! i put it in my garage, cuz it was kinda dirty. then me and my friends played video games outside where we could make any size mess we wanted.

but that was like 2 yrs ago.

badninja3 said:
u kno how on spring cleaning(or w/e its called), ppl throw out their old stuff, sometimes computers? where do the computers go? im wondering cuz i wanna see if i can scrap together a nice web browsing computer for (almost)free. lol.

does anybody know if the goodwill holds on to old computers?

I can tell you about where old computers go at my school. All old PCs that are never used are sent offsite to a warehouse owned by the university. They store it for a whole year (contract purposes) and then they are discarded in the dumpster.

I was saw a nice 17 inch CRT mointor I really wanted it, but my mom was to lazy to stop the car so I could grab it. Would of been sweet to have dual mointors. Um my moms PC PSU burnt out and we were driving one day and there was this old PC I stopped by and looked at it it was a 300 WATT ATX, my mom just needed about 200 watts its been in her PC for like a 1.5 year now, and it runs like 24/7. Pretty good for a PSU that cost me about 5 mins of work.

My Sci teacher has a AWESOME STERO system, he said he picked it up out of a dumpster and spent .50 to buy a new fuse, its a kennwood and all. Its a really good speaker for a .50 repair bill. I don't go "looking" for old PCs but if I see one, and its outon the street or somthing I may stop and pick it up. Somtimes poeple are so lazy and they get that nice new 19 inch flat screen and just toss out a perfectly good 17 INCH CRT that works like new.

Wow! Some good finds :p

Its a shame we don't have any scrap heaps where I am. Least, not ones like that.

Haha, 50p...wow, good bargain there :D

I actaully thought they found PC's hard to scrap down, but maybe its not that thats the problem, but the environmental issues of doing it.

Back
Top Bottom