What's your poison?

I guess BikerEcho doesn't want me to post since I don't drink either. I just never cared for the taste of alcohol, tastes like chemicals to me, I scratch my head when somebody tells me whiskey or the like tastes good. I also don't enjoy being drunk so that's not an attraction to me but the really big thing for me is the ridiculous cost of alcohol, whether you buy it in a bar or you buy it in a store.

Both of my parents were alcoholics as well as my oldest sister. When I was growing up there was always beer around and my parents didn't care if I drank it or not. When I was really little (5 years old) I would drink beer to be just like my dad and feel like a I was a big boy. Luckily I grew out of that. My big sis once tried to talk me into joining AA because she said they told her that since our parents were alcoholics that all of their children were also alcoholics. The fact that I didn't drink was irrelevant, they referred to me as a non practicing alcoholic. I just laughed since there is absolutely no attraction for me to alcohol.

What's my poison? Diet coke.

Last edited:
I guess BikerEcho doesn't want me to post since I don't drink either.
Well it's a free country.. or in this case i guess free countries.

I just never cared for the taste of alcohol, tastes like chemicals to me, I scratch my head when somebody tells me whiskey or the like tastes good.
I also don't enjoy being drunk so that's not an attraction to me but the really big thing for me is the ridiculous cost of alcohol, whether you buy it in a bar or you buy it in a store.

It's really all about learning to enjoy it. I didn't like it 2 years ago. Now i love it, (if it's light. So i need to gradually try more spicy whiskey)
Drinking good rum and whiskey doesn't mean that you have to get yourself drunk. (though a little light headed never hurts anyone, it only boots the mood)
And yes, the price sucks. So it's about enjoying it and not swallowing it too fast. :)

As for the second part of your post.... i am sorry to hear that. :( Hope your family are well.

Last edited:
I guess BikerEcho doesn't want me to post since I don't drink either. I just never cared for the taste of alcohol, tastes like chemicals to me, I scratch my head when somebody tells me whiskey or the like tastes good. I also don't enjoy being drunk so that's not an attraction to me but the really big thing for me is the ridiculous cost of alcohol, whether you buy it in a bar or you buy it in a store.

Same applies to me, I am only 19 and I rarely ever drink alcohol just for the sake of it. The only time I'll have a drink is when having a meal out or special occasion. It doesn't appeal to me and alcohol is expensive. I also cannot justify going out and getting absolutely wasted.

I don't drink either, I just don't care for it anymore. When I was in my twenties though I loved to drink Bacardi 151 (rum) and coke.

My favorite beer was Budweiser, and Michelob...Then I start liking Bud light with lime. I no longer drink, but my favorite poison right now is DR. PEPPER and Pepsi.

Haven't tried the Bacardi 151 (i'll give that a try sometime), but i have been drinking lots Bacardi Apple and Razz.

BK123:
I started drinking at the age of 15. That's when you could start buying alcohol in Denmark back then. It has now been increased to 16 for alcoholic drinks below 17% alcohol and 18 for anything else. I think that's a fine law.

BK123:
I started drinking at the age of 15. That's when you could start buying alcohol in Denmark back then. It has now been increased to 16 for alcoholic drinks below 17% alcohol and 18 for anything else. I think that's a fine law.

Same. I cannot stand it that the drinking age here is 21. Not because it stops me (I am 24) but because it upsets me that you are allowed to die for the country before you are allowed to drink. If you can put your life on the line at 18, then you should be able to drink at that age.

I find it "funny" that in the US you can drive around in 2 tons heavy death machines (cars) at the age of 16 (and own guns i think) but you have to be 21 in order to drink beer.
Sense level = Zero :confused:

I've always been a drinker,
my parents were of the opinion that in order to teach responsibility then you need to allow people to make their own way, and find out on their own the problems.

at Christmas we'd always receive some beer as a present, which we'd drink with out Christmas meal, or if we had wine, or sherry with the meal we'd drink the beer whilst watching TV later.

As for buying alcohol, well, I've always looked a bit older than I am, so have been buying beer etc since I was 16 - even though it's not legal until you're 18 in the UK.

as for what my poison is now... (little bit of everything)

it really depends.
If I'm sat at home, or in a quiet pub then I like a nice real ale, (a decent ale is difficult to find outside of the UK). Occasionally a stout, (like Guinness)

If I'm on a night out then I'll probably drink a larger or a cider.
a summers day definitely calls for a nice lager or cider. maybe mixed with lemonade to make it a refreshing drink.

for lager I'd normally drink Stella Artois, (I used to drink Fosters all the time, but think it tastes like water now!)

I am a big fan of snake bite and black.
(1/2 a pint of cider, mixed with half a pint of lager, with a bit of black current cordial in it.) most places will not serve you this drink, aside from the fact that it turn a bit jelly in the glass making them difficult to clean, it's also got a strong association with violence.)

I don't generally drink wine, unless its Port, and then not in large amounts.

for spirits, I went off Vodka a long time ago, the occasional vodka and orange is still nice, but I'm much more into other spirits now.

but again it's situational, it'd depend on my mood, and what I felt like.
if I'm out for a night on the town it's going to be a whiskey, probably with coke.

if I'm drinking rum (which I may do either on a night out, or sat at home) then I'll either drink it straight or mixed with a coke. it's always a dark rum.

if I'm drinking whisky (as in scotch) it's either neat or cut with water.
and that's usually at home.

It's nice to get some friends around and crack open a decent whisky.

for cocktails, if I'm in a decent place then I'm partial for a mojito, or a long island iced tea. but generally you need to be in a cocktail bar for this to happen, not just in a regular pub.

I mentioned snakebite earlier, does anyone else have any weird and wonderful concoctions?

(top tips, try Jack Daniels (normal) with Mountain Dew. Or JD and apple juice...
for a really good flavour try Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey flavour mixed with apple juice.)

I realise that I sound like an alcoholic after that post.
but I'm actually quite a sensible drinker! I don't get drunk often, only really drink occasionally.

Not drinking often does enable me to buy nicer booze.
so if I was an alcoholic I'd be buying the cheapest scotch that there is and drinking it as fast as I could without it touching my mouth so I couldn't taste it.

Knowing that I'll be buying only one bottle of scotch in a year, only 1 bottle of rum etc means that I'm not spending as much, so don't feel so bad about reaching for a more expensive bottle.

(you can't play along Smart_guy :lol: (to those who don't know, he doesn't drink))

We have a lemon cologne with a very high percentage of alcohol (like 75%... is this high?) sold widely where I live. I once tried it an it tasted awful :D

Some people call soda (soft or carbonated drinks) poison as well. I just LOVE Mirinda Citrus... if that counts :whistling:

He is refering to Rum. :)
-

Way cool, the same thing pirates drink :D

Back
Top Bottom