What's up with all the spam

AMD_man

Fully Optimized
I'm using Tapatalk, so basically any time someone posts, it lets me know.

About 15 times a day I receive notifications from posts with ridiculous names like "education is power", and when I go to the thread, it's deleted, probably because a mod saw how spammy it was, and removed it.

What's the point!?

It's all done in an automated way. Every forum that I am on and have been on have suffered from spambots. These chuck out masses of spam to as many forums, or at least forum hosters, that they can. It's a bit like phone scammers. Yes most of us are aware and don't get caught up but a few do bite and enough of these people/forum users around the world make spamming and scamming worthwhile to the scammers. Most hosters don't care and leave the deletion of spam to the forum moderators. Most mods are volunteers and whilst they do do an excellent job they do have other lives so, consequently, spam gets through. Oh I am not a mod and wouldn't do that job for all the money in the world. Well I might for all the money in the world but then I would employ someone else to actually do the job LOL.

Yes that would work but most captcha are a pain in the backside themselves. I suppose if you do have notifications set for the forums you are on then those notifications are a nuisance if all they are notifying you of is spam. Having to fill in a captcha before posting would be a pain in theh butt. I just turn notifications off for all the forums that I am on. I don't know how different that is if you are using a cell phone to access a forum. I don't use a cell to go on to any forums.. I only use my computer.

Yeah it's not that it annoys me. I was just thinking it's a pain for the mods, this was mostly to try and find a solution.

I don't think captchas would be a big deal. I mean, if you already have an account, then solving a little captcha before posting (only before creating threads, of course it's not for every post) would not be a huge deal, so it wouldn't discourage new users. Even if you posted like a madman, let's say 3+ threads every day, that's just 3 or 4 captchas a day...

Maybe if the Captcha is a one time thing and place a cookie in your cache it can work out pretty good.

Or, maybe just require a captcha to start a new thread? would that at least cut down some of the stuff?

Back
Top Bottom