What's a good guitar for a beginner?

Thelis

Golden Master
Hello people,

I am picking up guitar, but I cannot figure out which one to get. I want something that is good, but not ridiculously expensive. Something I can get good on and play until I put out the big bucks.

Some of my choices:

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?SKU=F3700509&cm_sp=DeptBanners-_-033108-_-GTRA+F3700509

Fender
48th Street Custom Strat Electric Guitar (Candy Apple Red)

F3700509.jpg

ESP
KH202 Kirk Hammett Signature Model Electric Guitar (Black)

EKH202BLK.jpg

ESP
F250 Electric Guitar (Black)

ef250blkx.jpg

Ibanez
ARC300 Electric Guitar (Dark Violin Sunburst)

IARC300DV.jpg

Any of them good? Or any other suggestions?

dude.. the fender strat is good.. the others are crap.
get a fender squier for beginners :)

Hahaha... the links were messed up in the original post. I edited it.

What do you guys think?

To be honest, it's a bit of a personal choice.

all will likely be as easy of as hard to play, (they all have roughly the same body size and weight).
the only one that breaks the trend is the ibanez which I think looks like it's a raised bridge rather than a flat bridge, (so more in the Gibson style than the fender style).

which just leaves the question of what sound you want.
the fedner has a couple of single coil pickups, these generally have a thinner sound, (but it also has a double coil pickup as well)

the double coil pickups like humbuckers have a much fatter sound.

if you want to know what I mean, try listening to Jimi Hendrix and compare the light guitar sound, (even when distorted), to a band that play with gibsons where the sound is a lot fatter,

that's why most metal type bands will go for gibson style guitars.

Personally, I have a strat replica, and they are fairly easy to play, but then the others don't look like they'd be too different.

so you're left choosing on looks and sound, and that's entierly your choice.

my advice is go to the shop and have a quick test. ask them if you can have a couple of minutes to play each guitar, both clean and with an effect to see what sound you really like.
then have a think about it, and then get the guitar that sounds the nicest.

1. Acoustic guitars have action that's harder to press down compared to Electrics but it's the best training, don't just buy for looks.

2. Go to every music shop near you and get quotes so you can try and get them to compete for the deal, depends how much.

3. Tremolo bridges in a beginner's price range (-$800) really aren't worth it, you need a hard-tail bridge or any kind of set bridge (no whammy bar).

4. Think: Fender/Squire, ESP/LTD, Jackson, Washburn. Go with something that atleast has 1 humbucker/double coil pickup that is next to the bridge and then 1 or 2 are both good for the neck pickup. You may have a middle but I consider middle pickups absolutely useless. Bridge for distortion, neck for clean and distortion solos.

multi pickup guitars (as in single coil and humbucker combos) are probably the most versatile. in terms of the sound that you're getting...

but even with a guitar with single pups you can get some decent sounds.

I've re-wired my strat to have each pick up individually switched, (three dpdt switches in the space where the 5 way level switch used to be).

in this way I can individually switch all the pickups on or off or reverse the polarity of the pickup with relation to the other pickups.

(so instead of five sounds there are now 28 different [usable] selections 19 if you count all off).
(neck mid bridge)
off off off
on+ off off
on- off off
off on+ off
on+ on+ off
on- on+ off
off on- off
on+ on- off
on- on- off
off off on+
off off on+
on+ off on+
on- off on+
off on+ on+
on+ on+ on+
on- on+ on+
off on- on+
on+ on- on+
on- on- on+
off off on-
off off on-
on+ off on-
on- off on-
off on+ on-
on+ on+ on-
on- on+ on-
off on- on-
on+ on- on-
on- on- on-

instead of the usual five way selector which is
(neck mid bridge)
on+ off off
on+ on+ off
off on+ off
off on+ on+
off off on+

this enables you to get some very good sounds, especially used with effects that are lighter, (like envelope filters or wah pedals).

I agree with Thrasher though, cheap wammy bridges are a bit rubbish, (though you can modify this too).

in my strat I've half hardtailed the whammy bridge so on the bridge now you can't pitch bend down, but you can pitch bend up.

you can hardtail both ends up the bridge so make it completly rigid,

(you hard tail a tremlo bridge on a strat by gluing wood in the back), another way to improve a cheaper guitars tremlo bridge is to replace the springs,
the springs should really match the tension of the strings that you use.
my guitar came with only 2 springs, (though sace for a third), and this isn't reall enough for the super heavy strings that I use.
(tip#1 - don't use superglue then you can reverse your modifications)
(tip#2 use a softwood, I think I used either pine or basla wood, - soft woods help the vibrations absorb better putting them through the body and seem to very much improve the sustain given by the guitar).

Last but not least mod is shielding the body cavity - massivly reducing hum, - if you do this then do the whole thing, - that means take the scratch plate off, take all the controls out, and cover the face plate, then cover the whole inside of the body cavity, then the cut through to the back spring cavity and the spring cavity, make sure that your foil in the cavities overlaps the body slightly so that if makes contact with the shielding on the plates as well, makeing the faraday cage that you're putting around your electronics conpletly closed. (for shilding use either thick aluminium foil shilding (not cheap baco foil) or coper foil.

Next step on my modding is eaither construction a complete guitar, or winding my own pickups (that ones going to be a lot of trial and error!).

(perhaps a bit too far off topic, - have to admit to being a bit fanatical about modding my guitars).

anyway, slightly back on topic, I agree that accoustic guitars are a touch harder to play, but if you master the accoustic then you'll take to electric a lot easier,
a tip to making the strings a little easier to press is to use light weight electric strings (gague 9) on an electric accoustic - this makes the strings a lot easier to press, the sound lighter, and practically eliminates all fret noise.

Nah, I played electric for a couple of months, but I have always wanted to play electric. A lot of my friends have electric guitars, and I enjoy playing them more.

So do I take it the suggestion is the Fender? I kind of understood the whole pickup conversation, but I am not well versed in guitar language yet.

So... Fender?

And for the amp, the Roland Micro Cube works

Acoustic
Clean
Black Label (I can't tell the difference between this and clean)
Brit Rock ( Sounds like The Who, Yardbirds, Zep)
Two Metal sounding modes (One heavy rock mode and one heavy metal)
and a Microphone mode

Along with six different effects:

Chorus
Flanger
Phaser
Tremolo
Delay
and Reverb

Back
Top Bottom