Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-27-2006, 11:00 AM   #71
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz
Default Re: What's everyones job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parismouton
hmm, left school at 17 to start an apprentiship with Marconi as a radar/electronic technician. i moved a few hundred miles, paid for a flat and the week before i was to start they went belly up!!!! so i was stuck with no money nor job. spend the next few years in hotels/anything just to earn money. at 23 i met a french girl and then we moved to gai paris. i spoke no french so got a job in a english speaking bar for 4 years.
got very lucky when a best mate managed to get me into the software localisation dept for Business Objects- that was it, back into the 'real world' as far as i was concerned, the company was growing so fast then i seemed to be promoted every 6 months. did that for 4 years, then went self employed in the UK and France as pc tech/system admin.

today i am sitting on my fat bum preparing for a big IT sales interview in Amsterdam.

i get the feeling that i can never sit still!
Well ya have been around mate You still with the French girl?

Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:35 PM   #72
In Runtime

nope, and never marry one! they take off with some guy from work
still see my ex a few times per year though, things are fine between us.

parismouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:52 PM   #73
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to GlasseyeUK

In the UK, there was a big push on people going to university at about the time when I went, and with it came a huge flux of useless degrees, just so people could go to university, the whole message was that to succeed you had to have a degree....

The emphasis was taken off the apprenticeships, and the value of those jobs as viewed in society was such as it was deemed manual labour, the eradication of the class system (supposedly) led to people being snobbish about the manual jobs such as a chippy, plumber, etc....yet those jobs earn more then I will earn, and I am pretty good morning.

Now days, there is a renewed push to get people interested in the more hands on work, as there are so many people that spend a few years at university and are unemployed and are finding it really dfficult to get a job....

Its sad really, recognising the fact that different people have different skills but equally those skills are just as valuable, and without them, then we find that modern society is lacking in certain areas, and hence this whole thing with the EC opening up, and people coming over to the UK and taking up any jobs they can find, because most of the time, people are thinking that the job is beneath them.......

Time tells all, but if the moment in time passes and you miss it, then you will remember it for ever!!
GlasseyeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:37 PM   #74
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasseyeUK
In the UK, there was a big push on people going to university at about the time when I went, and with it came a huge flux of useless degrees, just so people could go to university, the whole message was that to succeed you had to have a degree....

...SNIP...
Very true. There is a similar view here. You need to have college to get a good paying job. BS! look at the majority of the millionaires in the world. Most of them came from poor families, most of them didn't graduate highschool and fewer went to college. They all had ideas and drive to do things. They also knew not to go out and spend every red cent they made.

Here's a cool story for you. Col. Sanders, when making his business propisition, was told over 100 times "No", before he got someone to agree to become a "partner" of sorts with him.

How many times hearing "no" would it take before you gave up on your dream?
Being this damn broke . . . . Priceless!

それ自身による剣規則何も。それは熟練した処理によってしか生き生きして来ない。
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:40 PM   #75
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
You need to have college to get a good paying job. BS!
I can't agree more!!, in Britain, year after year, our universities & colleges churn out thousands & thousands of guys & gals, with large students loans to pay back, running into thousands, on to the unsuspecting world whether there's jobs for them or not, result, hundreds more on the dole each month, plus a lot of over educated bin men, road sweepers, lavatory attendants etc, I never went to college or university, & I think I got on alright.
Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:55 PM   #76
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to kyleman999 Send a message via MSN to kyleman999

M&M Meat Shops
Purely canadian
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Barton (running @ 2.21)--Asus A7N8X --1gb (2x512) DDR PC3200 --200gb WD 8mb cache 7200 RPM--40gb WD 2mb cache 5200 RPM --XFX GeForce 6600GT AGP 8x @ 588\1.14 --Creative Audigy2 7.1 ZS--CoolMax 400 wat PSU-- --Volcano 12+ CPU Fan--Overclocking Kit--Logitech Z-5300e's
kyleman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:49 AM   #77
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleman999
M&M Meat Shops
Purely canadian
I looked them up, seems very good on the surface, founded in 1982 by two Canadians, mainly small outlets in strip malls, at the last count 420 outlets across Canadada, & still growing, one odd claim to fame, they made the world's longest sausage, 46 kilometres!!! no, not metres, try getting that in your frying pan!, did you know these statistics?
Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:30 AM   #78
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to Andrew2020

I work at BestBuy...Selling nothing but computers.
Audio Adapter: Analog Devices AD1986A @ ULi/ALi M5461 High Definition Audio Controller
Disk Drives:ST330062 2AS SCSI Disk Device (320 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II) x4 (1280GB)
Network Adapter: Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Andrew2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:41 PM   #79
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookfield
I can't agree more!!, in Britain, year after year, our universities & colleges churn out thousands & thousands of guys & gals, with large students loans to pay back, running into thousands, on to the unsuspecting world whether there's jobs for them or not, result, hundreds more on the dole each month, plus a lot of over educated bin men, road sweepers, lavatory attendants etc, I never went to college or university, & I think I got on alright.
Yeah, that's the other thing that screws everyone up! People get out of college and have these huge student loans to pay back and they pay thill they are in their 60's+!! It's nuts! These people get out, but can't really move on!
Being this damn broke . . . . Priceless!

それ自身による剣規則何も。それは熟練した処理によってしか生き生きして来ない。
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:31 AM   #80
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
Yeah, that's the other thing that screws everyone up! People get out of college and have these huge student loans to pay back and they pay thill they are in their 60's+!! It's nuts! These people get out, but can't really move on!
mmm, thank god for free education...