Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-13-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to 88
Default What's the best way to travel around Europe?

I want to plan a trip to Europe within the next year or so but as I have discovered it will be a lot more complicated than first thought.
I'm not certain of where I want to travel to but I was thinking of starting in London and going from there to visit places in the Netherlands, France, Germany and maybe somewhere South. This especially goes out to the members who live in Europe: What is the best form of transportation to these places? I have heard of getting a rail pass for eurail.com but i get mixed opinions about it. As far as having a place to sleep what would you recommend? Hotels only?

I would like to keep the trip rather cost efficient but also keep it somewhat comfortable. So if you have any advice, by all means let me know!

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lsung!
88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to BrynF_UK
Default Re: What's the best way to travel around Europe?

a piece of cardboard with the name of where your traveling to

kidding of course, lol

Generally public transport is good in Europe (this stops once you come to the UK) but generally IMO rail is the best way to go since they have very long routes that go through different countries, plus its reasonably priced and pretty quick too.

As to places to sleep, unless your looking for 4 stars or more the hotel chains are the best deal (in Europe these include Travelodge, B&B, Formula1 etc and they can be found in most European countries)

Flying can be pretty cheap too, but wont be getting any cheaper in the future because of fuel tax etc. Personally, i would say trains are a safe bet

Visit today! ---> www.smouch.net/lol <---

Old 11-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #3
Golden Master

Whatever you do, don't stay in hostels!!!! You'll get sliced open ALIVE, haha. Scary. Hostel.

Most people travel by train but I suggest you get a guide book that tells you all the recreational hot spots, lodging, restaurants, rental cars, etc.

Places to visit, don't forget Greece, Italy, Spain, UK. I want to travel too but no money right now.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

Yeah, trains a pretty good plan. Could get rather expensive, but there are some good deals out there.
www.thetrainline.com offers some nice deals and times to suit you.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 View Post
I want to plan a trip to Europe within the next year or so but as I have discovered it will be a lot more complicated than first thought.
I'm not certain of where I want to travel to but I was thinking of starting in London and going from there to visit places in the Netherlands, France, Germany and maybe somewhere South. This especially goes out to the members who live in Europe: What is the best form of transportation to these places? I have heard of getting a rail pass for eurail.com but i get mixed opinions about it. As far as having a place to sleep what would you recommend? Hotels only?

I would like to keep the trip rather cost efficient but also keep it somewhat comfortable. So if you have any advice, by all means let me know!
My friends just did the same thing, while spending minimal money. They stayed in alot of hostels, and mainly took the train.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
Golden Master

Aren't hostels a place of torture?
Old 11-13-2007, 03:15 PM   #7
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

Your thinking about the film
Old 11-13-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISOwner View Post
Whatever you do, don't stay in hostels!!!! You'll get sliced open ALIVE, haha. Scary. Hostel.
lol yeah i will be suspicious of someone raving about a place where there are tons of women wanting to sleep with me and it being somewhere in Eastern Europe.

But hostels wouldnt be completely out of the question, although i hear it is a good idea to have shoes to wear in the showers according to a friend of mine. haha

Quote:
Places to visit, don't forget Greece, Italy, Spain, UK. I want to travel too but no money right now.
yeah that's what i meant by "South" Europe. Places like Italy, Greece, im not sure about Spain right now.

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lsung!
88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:16 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to BrynF_UK

on a side note, for France and Germany B&B Hotels are pretty good, we stayed with them and they were affordable, plus there are bonuses like free wi-fi in the reception and breakfast area

Visit today! ---> www.smouch.net/lol <---

Old 11-13-2007, 03:18 PM   #10
Golden Master

Ever since seeing Hostel 1 and 2, I will never look at the word hostel the same. I will not be able to trust anyone there either. Perhaps a regular motel would be good or hotel if you can find one. Gets expensive, but the trip itself is a lot of money.