Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-12-2008, 12:17 AM   #31
Golden Master
 
alvino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,967
Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesusfrk611 View Post
My faith is Christianity. I believe the Bible is 100% truth. That Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins. That just accepting and truly believing in God is the one way to heaven.

If you are offended by my beliefs, I'm sorry... A lot of you seem to be totally against anything to do with Christianity. It's my faith and I am sticking it it.
That's good. Personally I don't believe in any of it, but I'm very tolerant to other religions and beliefs. You can believe in what you want, it's just the people who push their religion on others who piss me off.
__________________

alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:06 AM   #32
Daemon Poster
 
Lac3y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,110
Send a message via MSN to Lac3y
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Lew View Post
I'm not terribly religious but I take the Bible simply as a collection of parables rather than 100% literate truth, therefore I generally try to follow the moral guidelines set forth because they make sense.

I don't go around thumping the bible and questioning others' beliefs though, that's not my place.

But I would like to point out that people saying that ID is a flawed theory is as hilarious to me as the idea that all the matter in the universe came from a tiny ball of nothing that exploded into thousands of galaxies or whatever. Neither is better than the other.
The difference is, one of those theories is backed up by mountains of evidence, the other doesn't even have a single peer-reviewed paper behind it. Can you guess which goes where?

And your explanation of the Big Bang is a pathetic Straw Man. Go and research it before ridiculing it. No scientist has ever said nothing exploded to make the universe.
__________________

__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.7GHz
4GB OCZ PC-6400 RAM
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD
ATI Radeon HD4890 with VoltageTweak
OCZ Stealth XStream 600w PSU
Lac3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:07 AM   #33
Guru
 
JogaBonito1502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 7,841
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac3y View Post
The difference is, one of those theories is backed up by mountains of evidence, the other doesn't even have a single peer-reviewed paper behind it. Can you guess which goes where?

And your explanation of the Big Bang is a pathetic Straw Man. Go and research it before ridiculing it. No scientist has ever said nothing exploded to make the universe.
Attack the argument not the person.
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:08 AM   #34
Golden Master
 
alvino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,967
Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: What are your religious views?

I'm calling that this thread will be locked within a few weeks if not a few days.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:09 AM   #35
Daemon Poster
 
Lac3y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,110
Send a message via MSN to Lac3y
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
Attack the argument not the person.
Nowhere it my post did I attack the person, just his argument.
__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.7GHz
4GB OCZ PC-6400 RAM
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD
ATI Radeon HD4890 with VoltageTweak
OCZ Stealth XStream 600w PSU
Lac3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:12 AM   #36
Guru
 
JogaBonito1502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 7,841
Default Re: What are your religious views?

You told him "to go and research it before ridiculing it". I may be wrong, but I'd be offended by that. Maybe he already knows about and he's just making good use of a hyperbole.
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:36 AM   #37
Fully Optimized
 
D-Lew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,793
Send a message via AIM to D-Lew
Default Re: What are your religious views?

I stand by my statement. Obviously scientific method is important in stuff like this, and ID can't really be tested... but there's a lot of holes in the BB theory as well. Some things are just past our level of comprehension.
D-Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:26 AM   #38
Daemon Poster
 
Lac3y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,110
Send a message via MSN to Lac3y
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Lew View Post
I stand by my statement. Obviously scientific method is important in stuff like this, and ID can't really be tested... but there's a lot of holes in the BB theory as well. Some things are just past our level of comprehension.
Perfectly true, the Big Bang theory has got a lot of holes in it, and we may never know the truth. However, every scientific theory has holes. Science doesn't deal in absolute certainty, it gives us the best explanation of reality we can possible achieve.

And if ID can't be tested, it isn't science. You've just admitted that, so why do advocates persist that it is and want to teach it in science classes? Why can't they just admit it is creationism and keep it in theology lessons?
__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.7GHz
4GB OCZ PC-6400 RAM
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD
ATI Radeon HD4890 with VoltageTweak
OCZ Stealth XStream 600w PSU
Lac3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:40 AM   #39
Fully Optimized
 
D-Lew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,793
Send a message via AIM to D-Lew
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Where did I say it should be taught in school?

Basically what I wanted to get at in my statement is... at the end of the day, where did all the mass/energy come from? I don't know... There's a law of conservation for that. It boggles my mind and avoids explanation just like for everyone else.
D-Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:44 AM   #40
Daemon Poster
 
Lac3y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,110
Send a message via MSN to Lac3y
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Lew View Post
Where did I say it should be taught in school?

Basically what I wanted to get at in my statement is... at the end of the day, where did all the mass/energy come from? I don't know... There's a law of conservation for that. It boggles my mind and avoids explanation just like for everyone else.
I didn't say you want it to be taught, but advocates do.

And trust me, the Big Bang doesn't break any scientific laws
__________________

__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.7GHz
4GB OCZ PC-6400 RAM
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD
ATI Radeon HD4890 with VoltageTweak
OCZ Stealth XStream 600w PSU
Lac3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0