Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #231
Golden Master
 
alvino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,967
Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Hahah, that's a nice one.
__________________

alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #232
Golden Master
 
01001010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,888
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Science books are written by humans, why should you believe them?
Touché.
__________________

__________________
Stop the genocide now.
↳ www.savedarfur.org

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #233
Daemon Poster
 
Lac3y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,110
Send a message via MSN to Lac3y
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Science books are written by humans, why should you believe them?
1. Science is the most self-critical field on earth. The only thing scientists love better than having their theories accepted is disproving the theories of other scientists. Papers that are submitted to peer-review are ripped and torn apart, every flaw, mistake, anomaly is bashed out again and again until the scientific community comes to a consensus.

2. The theories science produces are useful.

3. The predictions theories make consistently come true

4. Book drafts go through many checks before publication

5. Just look around and see what science has achieved in its short life

6. Science is ever evolving. Mistakes are admitted straight away. It is honest

7. Established theories will never be disproved completely, simply improved and tinkered with when new evidence comes in

8. Science has never said it deals in absolute certainty, unlike religion, it knows it can be flawed

9. "belief" in science doesn't affect my life much. If something science does turns out to be wrong, no skin off my nose
__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.7GHz
4GB OCZ PC-6400 RAM
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD
ATI Radeon HD4890 with VoltageTweak
OCZ Stealth XStream 600w PSU
Lac3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #234
In Runtime
 
BamaFan2989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 483
Send a message via AIM to BamaFan2989
Default Re: What are your religious views?

i am going to read these articles and watch the video.

but i don't think any logical christian would use that stupid chart.

that was a waste of time.

and i really encourage you to watch that video i posted. since you are so interested in your life.

and jesus claimed to be god, and his miracles were recorded and have been dated. muhammad was prophet. and as to the reason i am christian and not muslim has to do with many different things. intellectual, social, and so on...
BamaFan2989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #235
Daemon Poster
 
Lac3y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,110
Send a message via MSN to Lac3y
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFan2989 View Post
i am going to read these articles and watch the video.

but i don't think any logical christian would use that stupid chart.

that was a waste of time.

and i really encourage you to watch that video i posted. since you are so interested in your life.

and jesus claimed to be god, and his miracles were recorded and have been dated. muhammad was prophet. and as to the reason i am christian and not muslim has to do with many different things. intellectual, social, and so on...
When comments are disabled on a video it's never a good sign. I really don't have time to watch it though. If you give me a summary of his main arguments I'll happily comment.

And that method of reasoning is used by a great many Christians.

The Koran states that Jesus was simply a high prophet. Why do you believe the Bible over the Koran?

Intellectual? Are you saying Muslims are stupid? That you are more intelligent than Muslims and that's why you chose Christianity?

Social? Are you saying the only reason you're a Christian is because you were brought up Christian? Live in a Christian society and live with other Christians? That doesn't seem like a good reason to decide the fate of your eternal soul. Have you read the Koran? Researched intimately all other possible religions? Your soul is at stake! Make sure you've chosen wisely!

Edit: And the Gospels (the first anyway) was written at least 40 years after the supposed time of Jesus. It is hearsay of hearsay that was written down, it certainly wasn't recorded:

Record: anything (such as a document or a phonograph record or a photograph) providing permanent evidence of or information about past events

The huge number of contradictions between Gospels certainly doesn't make the Bible any sort of record.
__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.7GHz
4GB OCZ PC-6400 RAM
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD
ATI Radeon HD4890 with VoltageTweak
OCZ Stealth XStream 600w PSU
Lac3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #236
Omnipotent One
 
Atomic Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 11,161
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac3y View Post
When comments are disabled on a video it's never a good sign.
You're kidding me right? Have you seen some of the crap that gets posted as "comments" on YouTube? Links to pron are a very common occurrence.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:53 PM   #237
In Runtime
 
BamaFan2989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 483
Send a message via AIM to BamaFan2989
Default Re: What are your religious views?

wow. i really dont have time to waste, arguing this over someone who is clearly an idiot.

first... the poster for the video is google. i am sure they have reasons to disable their comments, go whine to google.

second... the koran and bible differ. i believe jesus was god, koran doesnt. i believe jesus was crucified, koran doesnt, etc.

third... no i am saying my beliefs are constructed the same way your's are... social, intellectual, and personal reasons. i have thought about it (intellectual), the people i would like to be like and surround myself with (personal/social), and yes living where i do has affected it, just like where you live has affected your's.

some of the reason i believe: there was stuff written down about a guy named jesus, it's all i really have... i have no actual proof, i have faith. you don't have proof in your hands of anything about any fossil records, anything about humans evolving from primates, or anything for that matter, we just have credited sources and not so credited sources, and we all choose to believe what we want. i am still waiting on you to admit you are taking on faith to not believe.

and yes, that's correct about the gospels... and i find it funny that you posted that video from dr bart ehrman, yet you wrote he was a "prominent bible researcher." do you even know anything about ehrman? he works for unc in religious studies. anyway...

i think its funny that he is athiest, so you both share some beliefs, yet you seem to differ some still. and he actually in the video obviously belives the scriptures exist, it's his job. he studies them. he has seen them. he just beliefs some of them were transcribed wrong. which could be true, who knows.

but who am i to believe anything, nonetheless give a shit to as what you say, as i should matthew, mark, luke, john, or paul?

edit: i apologize for calling you an idiot, it was my initial reaction.
BamaFan2989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #238
Daemon Poster
 
Lac3y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,110
Send a message via MSN to Lac3y
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFan2989 View Post
wow. i really dont have time to waste, arguing this over someone who is clearly an idiot.

first... the poster for the video is google. i am sure they have reasons to disable their comments, go whine to google.

second... the koran and bible differ. i believe jesus was god, koran doesnt. i believe jesus was crucified, koran doesnt, etc.

third... no i am saying my beliefs are constructed the same way your's are... social, intellectual, and personal reasons. i have thought about it (intellectual), the people i would like to be like and surround myself with (personal/social), and yes living where i do has affected it, just like where you live has affected your's.

and yes, that's correct about the gospels... and i find it funny that you posted that video from dr bart ehrman, yet you wrote he was a "prominent bible researcher." do you even know anything about ehrman? he works for unc in religious studies. anyway...

i think its funny that he is athiest, so you both share some beliefs, yet you seem to differ some still. and he actually in the video obviously belives the scriptures exist, it's his job. he studies them. he has seen them. he just beliefs some of them were transcribed wrong. which could be true, who knows.

but who am i to believe anything, nonetheless give a shit to as what you say, as i should matthew, mark, luke, john, or paul?
haha wow here I am providing a mountain of evidence for my stance that you asked for, and here's you calling me an idiot. Read your posts, they are full of Straw Men, stupidities and down right lies. I asked you to clarify what you meant and you insult me. Well here I go:

You are a short-tempered, stupid, impatient, insulting little twerp. Now get out of my thread if you're not going to give me at least one solid, logical and reasonable argument for your beliefs, because so far you've given me crap.

And Ehrman is agnostic.
__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.7GHz
4GB OCZ PC-6400 RAM
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD
ATI Radeon HD4890 with VoltageTweak
OCZ Stealth XStream 600w PSU
Lac3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 05:04 PM   #239
Omnipotent One
 
Atomic Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 11,161
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: What are your religious views?

You forgot to mention that the Jewish religion doesn't believe that Jesus was the Messiah.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 05:05 PM   #240
In Runtime
 
BamaFan2989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 483
Send a message via AIM to BamaFan2989
Default Re: What are your religious views?

... clarify what i meant on what?'

edit: and just for the record my apology was posted a good 4 minutes before you posted... your insults really dont affect me... i dont see why people get off on insulting people via the internet.

i should have worded it more like, your last post makes you seem like an idiot, that would have been more accurate.
__________________

BamaFan2989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0