Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-16-2008, 12:30 AM   #171
Guru
 
JogaBonito1502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 7,841
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Well you know there's always a change because nobody is alike. Say your mom had a lot of fevers in her lifetime, you'd probably be more resistant to it than your mom.

The thing that gets people is how do you determine when something is an adaptation or not? Like, you'd think because your dad is bald (hypothetically) you wouldn't (this is assuming being bald is a bad thing). Well, that's not actually true. Your system is always trying to create better defense systems, because being bald probably didn't affect your dad's lifestyle, it wouldn't affect yours. Therefore, you probably will become bald. Do you understand what I'm saying or am I just rumbling?
__________________

JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:36 AM   #172
Daemon Poster
 
Lac3y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,110
Send a message via MSN to Lac3y
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
Yeah, I think so too, but how does your genes know that you do not need it?
If it's true, a slight variation must occur in every child, born from the same gene pool, correct? If they are living in the same conditions, I'd expect it so.
It takes thousands and thousands of years for any changes to become noticeable. And as for how evolution "knows" when to adapt. The process is natural selection.



A nice 10 minute video for you. In fact I'd recommend the "Made Easy" series to everyone in this thread. It'll answer most, if not all of your questions.
__________________

__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.7GHz
4GB OCZ PC-6400 RAM
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD
ATI Radeon HD4890 with VoltageTweak
OCZ Stealth XStream 600w PSU
Lac3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:36 PM   #173
Daemon Poster
 
Ahyoka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,373
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Hey guy's whats going on? feel like I ain't been on here in a few weeks nigh I haven't read through all of this thread, but I get the general jist of it I suppose haha.

First, I am a Christian. I was raised in a middle class, spiritual, country home and generally brought up reading and studying the bible. That doesn't mean I'm a religious zealot though. Because truth be told I can't stand those kinds of people, THEY are the hypocrites who judge and condemn a person when they themselves are no more perfect. Who would point out the speck of dust in your eye while they have a beam in theirs.

That aside, I respect anyones choice to believe or not to believe in anything, it's their life and they should do with it as they see fit in my opinion. My parents let me make my own choices and don't control me, I can go to them for anything and they offer me advice but ultimately leave my choices up to me. As I've said I don't hold a persons religious convictions against them, I have friends who are catholic, christian, agnostic, atheist or don't even know.

I choose to believe in Christianity, not because I think it'll get me to heaven or that because my family is. I believe because so far throughout my short life I have seen things to where I know beyond a shadow of a doubt there is a loving God who actually cares about us. As a firefighter I've been on wrecks where people should have died, where the odds were so stacked against them that even surviving more than 2 minutes would have been a miracle but they pulled though until we got em out to fully recover.

Quite frankly I suppose I just don't have the faith to be an Atheist. I can't imagine when I'm outside at night and I look up to see more stars in the sky than man could ever count that it all came from nothing.
Ahyoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #174
Daemon Poster
 
Lac3y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,110
Send a message via MSN to Lac3y
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahyoka View Post
Quite frankly I suppose I just don't have the faith to be an Atheist. I can't imagine when I'm outside at night and I look up to see more stars in the sky than man could ever count that it all came from nothing.
1. Atheism requires zero faith.

2. No atheist has ever looked up at the stars and thought they came from nothing
__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.7GHz
4GB OCZ PC-6400 RAM
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD
ATI Radeon HD4890 with VoltageTweak
OCZ Stealth XStream 600w PSU
Lac3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #175
Daemon Poster
 
Ahyoka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,373
Default Re: What are your religious views?

I don't know, I think it takes a lot more faith to say that there ain't a God or some form of afterlife, just my opinion though

And also, when I said comes from nothing I mean the whole big bang theory or theories of that sort, sorry
Ahyoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:17 PM   #176
Fully Optimized
 
spywarebanisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,135
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
Well you know there's always a change because nobody is alike. Say your mom had a lot of fevers in her lifetime, you'd probably be more resistant to it than your mom.

The thing that gets people is how do you determine when something is an adaptation or not? Like, you'd think because your dad is bald (hypothetically) you wouldn't (this is assuming being bald is a bad thing). Well, that's not actually true. Your system is always trying to create better defense systems, because being bald probably didn't affect your dad's lifestyle, it wouldn't affect yours. Therefore, you probably will become bald. Do you understand what I'm saying or am I just rumbling?

what you are saying about the mother being sick all the time whatever...
thats like saying a construction worker that had well developed muscles due to his type of work would have a son with an innate source of muscle. THIS IS NOT TRUE.

btw, a fever is caused by the human body itself. its better to have a fever than not most of the time because the fever stimulates the immune system but causes discomfort.
__________________
amd athlon x2 4800+ 2.5ghz / 4gb ddr2 800mhz mushkin/ ZOTAC 8600gt 256mb / 320gb HDD 7200RPM / 250 watt psu
spywarebanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:31 AM   #177
Guru
 
JogaBonito1502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 7,841
Default Re: What are your religious views?

And you're misunderstanding what I said completely...
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:53 AM   #178
Daemon Poster
 
Lac3y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,110
Send a message via MSN to Lac3y
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahyoka View Post
I don't know, I think it takes a lot more faith to say that there ain't a God or some form of afterlife, just my opinion though

And also, when I said comes from nothing I mean the whole big bang theory or theories of that sort, sorry
The burden of proof is not on the atheist to give evidence for their disbelief (although we always do for some reason, we really should stop). The burden is on the one making the claim. You claim a loving God exists, who meddles with the natural world, who sends us to paradise or torture; you must present evidence for these claims and meet your burden, and so far the religious have not, in any sense whatsoever, met that burden. Therefore, for an atheist, who merely dismisses these claims, does not require any faith.

Does it require faith to dismiss Bigfoot, pixies and the Loch Ness Monster?
__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.7GHz
4GB OCZ PC-6400 RAM
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD
ATI Radeon HD4890 with VoltageTweak
OCZ Stealth XStream 600w PSU
Lac3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #179
Daemon Poster
 
Ahyoka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,373
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac3y View Post
The burden of proof is not on the atheist to give evidence for their disbelief (although we always do for some reason, we really should stop). The burden is on the one making the claim. You claim a loving God exists, who meddles with the natural world, who sends us to paradise or torture; you must present evidence for these claims and meet your burden, and so far the religious have not, in any sense whatsoever, met that burden. Therefore, for an atheist, who merely dismisses these claims, does not require any faith.

Does it require faith to dismiss Bigfoot, pixies and the Loch Ness Monster?
Good points, which I respect. And I suppose it would prove to be rather difficult to prove the existence of God, just as hard as it is to prove there isn't one. I suppose we'll all find out when we die

But also, "God" doesn't send a person to heaven or hell...people choose which side of the gulf they want to be on by the choices they make in life. That's not saying that babies, special needs people or people who never had a chance go to hell, the bible doesn't say that. People who have had many chances and heard the gospel many times but still refuse may go to hell, I wouldn't want to believe in a God who sent babies to hell.

And God doesn't demand love or people to follow him...it wouldn't be love if he did, if forced love is what God wanted he should have just made robots who would do nothing but say how great he is. They would probably have been better stewards of the earth if he did. Parents can't force their children to love them because it wouldn't really be love.

On a side note, I enjoy threads like this, open ended debates with people who hold different views and coming from all walks of life and such. Makes me glad that threads like this can stay open because people don't have a caps screaming war.
Ahyoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #180
Daemon Poster
 
Illmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 941
Send a message via AIM to Illmatic
Default Re: What are your religious views?

I still don't think the debate over religion should be based on how man was created. Stuff like that means nothing. It's what your religion promotes that matters.
__________________

__________________
My word is bond and bond is life and I will give my life before my word shall fail.
Illmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0