Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-13-2008, 04:26 PM   #131
Omnipotent One
 
Atomic Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 11,161
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: What are your religious views?

See there muz, you choose to "believe" in the "idea" of the big bang just like others choose to believe in God.
__________________

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #132
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: What are your religious views?

exactly and as i said in my first ever post in this thread i dont begrudge anybody else the right to believe in what they believe in
__________________

__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:31 PM   #133
Omnipotent One
 
Atomic Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 11,161
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Unfortunately, there are many that do and think that those who don't follow the same beliefs are stupid or "misguided".

For some it's a black and white issue and they only see or understand their side of the issue. I see both sides of this issue and still ask "why".
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:33 PM   #134
Guru
 
JogaBonito1502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 7,841
Default Re: What are your religious views?

The argument changed though. What we're arguing about is which belief has more evidence to back it up. In this case, I hope you all agree that it is the Big-Bang theory and the evolution theory. It's far less far-fetched. There have been many DNA comparison between orangutans and humans, they're closely matched. There has also been studies about how Mars and Earth have similarities in their rocks (I'm out of my field here, I barely read about it). This can only propose that they came from either very similar matter of different parts of matter. Thus, because I like to believe in the one with the most explanations, I believe that science is on the right track to finding the truth and it is what I go by.

edit: Atomic, I understand what you're saying and I have to admit if someone ridicules science I will be ruthless on attacking them. It is unacceptable that someone can make fun of science when they live by it every day and when it is the future to society. It already is the present as if you remove science out of society you get uneducated monkeys.
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:34 PM   #135
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Unfortunately, there are many that do and think that those who don't follow the same beliefs are stupid or "misguided".
i think that runs both ways though because i have met christians/muslims/and other religious people who have told me i should convert or i will go to hell etc for not believing and various other things along those lines and i always stick up for what i believe then

i also do think people who believe in god are believing the wrong thing but thats none of my business until they start preaching religion to me
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #136
Guru
 
JogaBonito1502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 7,841
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
i think that runs both ways though because i have met christians/muslims/and other religious people who have told me i should convert or i will go to hell etc for not believing and various other things along those lines and i always stick up for what i believe then

i also do think people who believe in god are believing the wrong thing but thats none of my business until they start preaching religion to me
Muz, if you don't believe in religion then you can't go to hell =p
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #137
Daemon Poster
 
Lac3y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,110
Send a message via MSN to Lac3y
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
See there muz, you choose to "believe" in the "idea" of the big bang just like others choose to believe in God.
As long as a person researches both sides and then comes to a conclusion based on justifications, I have no problems with people believing in God.

It's the ignorance of the other side that annoys me. Most of them just seem to spew out ignorance of the other position. I've actually tried to research the other side to the best of my ability. I wish people would do the same. Unfortunately this thread has shown me that the religious can have a very limited knowledge of science (not addressed to anyone in particular).

However, as there is no evidence for God, I chose to live my life based on the belief it doesn't exist, which is what people do for fairies, pixies and anything else with no evidence.
__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.7GHz
4GB OCZ PC-6400 RAM
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD
ATI Radeon HD4890 with VoltageTweak
OCZ Stealth XStream 600w PSU
Lac3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #138
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: What are your religious views?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
Muz, if you don't believe in religion then you can't go to hell =p
yes i know that but it still annoys me when religious people preach their religion to me and tell me that all these horrible things are going ot happen after death
which i thing is another interessting matter for debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac3y View Post
As long as a person researches both sides and then comes to a conclusion based on justifications, I have no problems with people believing in God.

It's the ignorance of the other side that annoys me. Most of them just seem to spew out ignorance of the other position. I've actually tried to research the other side to the best of my ability. I wish people would do the same. Unfortunately this thread has shown me that the religious can have a very limited knowledge of science (not addressed to anyone in particular).

However, as there is no evidence for God, I chose to live my life based on the belief it doesn't exist, which is what people do for fairies, pixies and anything else with no evidence.
i agree 100% people who make uninformed choices and then tell other people they are wrong make me most annoyed
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #139
Golden Master
 
mark thorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,366
Send a message via MSN to mark thorpe Send a message via Yahoo to mark thorpe
Default Re: What are your religious views?

my personal beliefs are that there is no 'god' or superior being.. there is no heaven or hell.. when your life ends, you either end up being burnt to a crisp and spread over a field, or you get put in a box and eaten by worms..

the big bang theory makes a hell of alot more sense than the theory in the bible that god created the earth in 7 days (well.. 6 and sat around doing nothing on the 7th)

as i said before.. it is all theories, and my personal belief is that the theory set out by scientists who have spent a very.. very long time studying it using technology to build up the theories is more accurate than reading a book written and rewritten countless times over the last few thousand years..


i see both sides of the issue.. and i choose the side of the issue which makes more sense to me.. and that is not a book written, and then edited and re-edited in translation over thousands of years..
mark thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:52 PM   #140
Omnipotent One
 
Atomic Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 11,161
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: What are your religious views?

I have seen and experienced too many things to blindly say there is no God or afterlife, ghosts, spirits, etc. Science just can't explain some of these things other than to say they are a figment of your imagination.
__________________

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0