What is your current hobby and why that one?

Hi! My hobby is helping the seniors in my retirement village with their printers and Computers. I have been blessed financially so my service is free. My way of giving back to the community. I also like chatting online. There are two lakes in my village that have great fishing and i do some of that. Here's where I live.
About Us

Hi! My hobby is helping the seniors in my retirement village with their printers and Computers. I have been blessed financially so my service is free. My way of giving back to the community. I also like chatting online. There are two lakes in my village that have great fishing and i do some of that. Here's where I live.
About Us
First of all, nice place! :)
Second, I love your choice of hobbie. Helping those who need it at no cost to them is more than noble. :flowers:

I'd say my hobby is technology. I like anything of a technical nature. If I could, I would buy at least one of every gadget in the world to play with and learn about.

Of course a big part of technology is computing. I've built many computers over the years starting with my first build in 1986. Besides building them, I program them, fix them and collect them.

I'm planning to retire in a few months and was telling my wife that I'd like to fix computers as a hobby when I retire. No desire to charge for my work but I would like to offer my services to those that otherwise couldn't afford to get their computer fixed. People like those on a fixed income, students, single parents and the like. I don't want to fix some guy's computer for free who has a 6 figure salary but is too cheap to pay to get his computer repaired.

I have been blessed financially. I guess I should say my wife has been blessed. She inherited 320 acres. The farm has 3 large wind turbines and is part of a large wind farm in Oklahoma. She also leases for oil and gas. At one time the farm had a large gas well. We both get SS and both have retirements. I retired from SWBT. My wife has teachers retirement. There are some poor seniors here in my village and some have a good income. To be it makes no difference which one I help. Some have oil and gas income and some have wind farm income. I never take one penny no matter if they can afford to pay or not afford to pay. It's my way of giving back to our community. Here's some pictures!

Attachments

• DSC00524.jpg
    DSC00524.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC00485.jpg
    DSC00485.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC00487.jpg
    DSC00487.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I'm planning to retire in a few months and was telling my wife that I'd like to fix computers as a hobby when I retire. No desire to charge for my work but I would like to offer my services to those that otherwise couldn't afford to get their computer fixed. People like those on a fixed income, students, single parents and the like. I don't want to fix some guy's computer for free who has a 6 figure salary but is too cheap to pay to get his computer repaired.

Be careful with that Strollin. I was the neighborhood geek and I got a lot of flaky people. Some were my friends too and they're not worth it. I've heard excuses of all kind why they can't pay me a little money. I used to work on cars and it's the same story.

Since I've retired from all that crap when my monthly checks started coming in that I have no friends. That's ok, they weren't friends in the first place.

Last edited:
I didn't inherit a farm or anything like that. Everything my wife and I have we had to work for. We both have small pensions from when we worked at IBM plus we both will get SS. We have a pretty decent sized 401k savings account and an IRA that we have been contributing to for 30 years. We will be selling our home here in which we have quite a bit of equity. I won't say we are blessed financially as no deity had anything to do with it.

Regardless of my financial position, I don't feel it's right for someone who could full well afford to pay for their computer to be fixed to bring it to me simply so they can save a few dollars. If I take the time to fix their computer I might not have time to fix someone else' system that can't afford to take it to a shop.

Be careful with that Strollin. I was the neighborhood geek and I got a lot of flaky people. Some were my friends too and they're not worth it. I've heard excuses of all kind why they can't pay me a little money. I used to work on cars and it's the same story.

Since I've retired from all that crap when I my monthly checks started coming in that I have no friends. That's ok, they weren't friends in the first place.
That's exactly why I don't want to do it for money, I only want to do it to help those in need. I do have reservations because I don't exactly know how to separate the ones that need my help from the ones just looking to get something for nothing.

I've already been fixing friend's and relatives' computers for free for many years. I usually charge a 6-pack of diet coke.

It's not far off topic, we're discussing the intricacies of personal hobbies and the situations in which they occurred - which is actually what the original question was.

If I help someone out, (usually friends/family) they usually offer to pay me, I suggest they make a small donation to the West Midlands Air Ambulance instead, as a biker it's a service quite close to my heart!

Back
Top Bottom