What the term "Hacker" really means...

Draygoes

Fully Optimized
First off, I want to say that I am sure that most of you hear know at least some of this. I am writing this for those who dont. Still please dont let that put you off, as some of this you may not know.
Second, if anyone visits cracked.com, you will notice the format being very similer to their articles. I like their style, and thought that you might enjoy it.

So, in true format, this is information/comedy/list article/post.

---------------------------------------------

A lot of people hear of hackers and instantly think of us as internet gods, people who will rob you of everything, and malware creators. And while that may be true for some people, it is not true for all of us. And so, I present to you, 3 reasons why the term Hacker does not mean what you think.

3. The term hacker was actually created by people building model trains!
Believe it or not, the term hacker came from the Tech Model Railroad Club at MIT. These where people who put trains together in ways that would make you want to flench even today. Their models would start small enough, but people would "hack" parts on to create larger and larger structures, until they expanded well past anything that you will see most common hobbyists doing today.
wooden_train_set1.jpg

Pictured above: A hacker in their early years.

I am not saying that these people where not brilliant, because they actually where. But it is important to note the starting point of the word, because...

2. There are many definitions of Hacker.
Take a step back, and look at Wikipedia. That list alone will lead you on a very long journey. But the point is, the hacking culture could not be more diverse even if you seperated it by time period. The fact is, there are so many definations, that even using the word is almost taboo if you are talking to someone who knows anything about it.
497307873.jpg

Above: What everyone thinks...

Look, I am not about to say that not all hackers are bad. There are plenty of examples of that. But I feel like the media should take a step back, and look at the larger picture. Then, they need to stop using that f-ing word! Hey, speaking of the media...

1. The media brutalizes us to the point that we cannot even tell people that we know how to do it.
Try this if you want some negitive attention from others, and possibly the police. Go up to someone that you know, and give them an example of how to use Tracert. Go into a full explination, and even show them what it does. Its not harmful, but the looks you will get may supprise you.
stock-photo-a-middle-age-man-yelling-and-pointing-during-an-argument-anger-management-2395461.jpg

"WITCH! *erm* i mean HACKER"

Of course not all people react this way, but even those who do not will still look at you the same. I was once told that Cynthias father thought that I was watching their computer at all times, because I had installed TeamViewer on their computer so that I could do remote support for them when they needed it. Now, Cynthia corrected the issue, but it is not the first time that this sort of problem has come up. I am sure that most service techs of any sort who have helped people will have some type of similar story.

Conclusion
I hope that you guys have learned somthing, or at least throught it was funny. If you enjoyed this, or wish to contribute to it, I welcome all comments. If you guys want to see more stuff like this, then I am more than willing to write longer ones in the future.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter where "hacker" originated from it means this now:

Someone who breaks into your bank account, steal secrets from the DOD, meddle your computer beyond repairs, etc.

You get the drift. :cool:

I know "hack" also means to forcibly go thru something. The term "hack and slash" in video games refers to the a sword hitting straight ahead (stabbing) or on a side swing.

Back
Top Bottom