Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-04-2006, 11:29 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to Noxious020189
Default What should I major in

Alright well I got this ideas from numerious threads on this site. Right now I'm 17 (18 Feb. 1st) and in my senior year. I have taken two years at a tech school that has an agreement with my high school. In this course so far we learned QBASIC (ya...), C++ (teacher didn't do much in this and I belive this is the most usfull code out there), Excel (ya...spreasheets), Word (...), and right now were doing Java (*cough*), and Acess/Orcal (Well I guess this is the only usefull thing we learned in the entire two years.) Anyways I self teach my self well...At current date I taguth my self Photoshop, 3D STudio Max, Computer Hardware, Some C++, some VB, and some other little minor stuff. Anyways thats my background, and now what I need to know is what to major in. I love computer programming, and I thought I wanted to get certified in computer programming with my teaching degree so I could teach it. I mean my tech teacher dosen't know crap about anything with computer programming. He seirosly gose along with us and just reads the book the day before we learn it. I mean I had to teach him how to start Java and C++ Anyways I thought I wanted to do that, but then Im really interested in Networking to, and Computer Hardware

Right now I have three choices in my major:
1) Computer Programming
2) Networking
3) Computer Hardware

I know this is my desision, but I really want to know what would be the best to have at the moderen day? I may love computer programming but I'm thinking more towards the Computer hardware and networking and just screw around with computer programming. I want to know for sure what I'm going into by next year so I don't have to switch majors. I already have a college piced out that dose all three of these programs so any one I go in I will be able to go into... Your oppnions and suggestions are welcom, and if you would like to add some of the things I will need that would be great

Old 10-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: What should I major in

there is alot more money in programming than in hardware. MCSD would fit the bill if you are going for microsoft certs.. here's useful info: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsd/

if you want more info on #2 and #3 go here but be prepared to make less money: http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=44888

Do you plan on making a ton of money or fulfill others by teaching? if the answer is both then you may want to teach at a technical school/college level

but...control 5 servers, one switch rack with 300 ports protected by cisco router, 300 PC's, 75 notebooks over a wLAN ;)
rramzjr@hotmail.com
systeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

Double post on acc.

PokerDegenerate: Don't listen to these guys, I like the IDE makes it look vintage like a 68 Camaro SS...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:14 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by systeq
there is alot more money in programming than in hardware. MCSD would fit the bill if you are going for microsoft certs.. here's useful info: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsd/

if you want more info on #2 and #3 go here but be prepared to make less money: http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=44888

Do you plan on making a ton of money or fulfill others by teaching? if the answer is both then you may want to teach at a technical school/college level
Yeah, also computer sciences seems pretty good to me. If you want a job totally out of the quesiton try Telecommunications (has to do with networking a bit) but you can get a job right out of school. And it pays very well.

PokerDegenerate: Don't listen to these guys, I like the IDE makes it look vintage like a 68 Camaro SS...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:06 AM   #5
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to Noxious020189

Quote:
Originally Posted by systeq

I'd rather be happy to go to my job then have to dred it...

Anyways I want to just get into something that I enjoy, and want to do till I die. I mean I know it's kinda young to say that, but seriosly I don't want to switch majors. I just want to do one of the three:

Computer Hardware
Networking
Computer Programming (I rather be in the top two though if I could)

I just find that working with computers, and getting to test computers out like in magazine reviews or online reviews would just be amazing. I mean I just want to work on the Hardware aspect of computers, and leave it up to the pros to learn the Software. I mean I will still learn about software but be self taught, because so far I'm all self taught on computers hardware and software. I may get really ticked off when my hardware dosen't work, or my network so I wanna learn why...When my software corrupts it's not hard for me to trouble shoot cause I know the basics, and some intermediat insides of a program.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:28 PM   #6
Site Team

Programming is a good choice to go into. Probably more jobs around than the other two
David Lindon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:54 PM   #7
In Runtime

Number 3.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:59 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to Š88

You'll probably get a higher paying job in computer programming than just being a tech.

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lösung!
Š88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:03 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Nik00117 Send a message via MSN to Nik00117 Send a message via Yahoo to Nik00117

Software is hard, hardware is easy. Go for software if you enjoy it. I hate software with a passion, but toss me a mobo, cpu, ram, and a GPU and i'll have lots of fun.

IF you enjoy coding, go ahead. On top of that i'd get a few certs, A+ Cert in Hardware/OS would look great, along with CISCO. Thats what i'll have.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #10
Beta Member

1) Computer Programming

andymg is offline   Reply With Quote