What makes a CD spin?

XEN

In Runtime
When ya put a CD in the drive what makes it spin? Pretty random I know, but interesting I think. ;)

CDs are great aren' they :) well, back on topic, how does the motor grip onto the disk? There isnt like a central circle or anything that you put it onto, its just loose on the tray...

I think its like a platform that comes up, it doesn't actually go in the circle just rests around it...or maybe its like this thing...
GWS-400-CD.jpg

Looks more like a torture weapon that anything else :p I suspected it was something lkie that though...

Well it has to lift it off the tray before it spins it. So I'd imagine something comes up and grips it and lifts it up a little too.

I have an old cd drive, I should rip it apart.

the spindle motor, and i don't believe they lift it off the tray... IDK it was a while since i studied the exterme specifics of a CDROM, i can tell you this much

it was boring stuff.

Right, got it, its hard to explain. Its like a motor with a circular peice of metal on top, there's another circular piece of plastic on that and like a grip pad around it that stops the cd from slipping I guess.

Back
Top Bottom