What Internet Connection do YOU use ?

Don't you have to pay regular telephone service plus the additional DSL service? If so, the bill will come out to almost $50+ a month.

TRDCorolla1 said:
Don't you have to pay regular telephone service plus the additional DSL service? If so, the bill will come out to almost $50+ a month.

No way. $50? Month? Where did you get that? My phone bill is on average $40/month. My internet is $26.95 (nothing more then that!). The internet is seperate from the phone bill. You pay for telephone service anyways, typically from the company that provides DSL. Now cable just sucks. It is on a shared connection and I heard can be as slow as 100kbps.

That's why I'm sticking with the cheaper better option, DSL.

And don't you have to pay for cable TV too from what I heard? In that case cable internet would be $90+/month.

since I live out in the stix (maine) in a rural area too... I cant get cable, and I cant get Yahoo or AOL (no AOL thank god) I go thorugh a provider called midmaine, and they really,really stink, they dont even know how to set up a router, they just give you the modem and say hook it up, but at least it's DSL, it's actually 512k A/DSL which i dont know, is there a difference between A/DSL and Regular DSL?

No, you do not have to have cable TV to use cable internet. It is optional. However, I do have the cable tv digital package plus internet for $69.95 a month. It's quite affordable considering I'm getting complete digital cable. They want me to get some premium Showtime or HBO channels for additional costs, but I said with all those channels I have now--I don't need more movie channels. I'll be a slave to the TV.

I'm already hooked on the cable internet surfing and downloading like crazy. That keeps me occupied most of the time and I find myself hardly watching TV now. It's in a separate room. I'm thinkng about moving the TV into the same room with my computer and hooking up a splitter to it so I can have TV and internet together.

TRDCorolla1 said:
No, you do not have to have cable TV to use cable internet. It is optional. However, I do have the cable tv digital package plus internet for $69.95 a month. It's quite affordable considering I'm getting complete digital cable. They want me to get some premium Showtime or HBO channels for additional costs, but I said with all those channels I have now--I don't need more movie channels. I'll be a slave to the TV.

I'm already hooked on the cable internet surfing and downloading like crazy. That keeps me occupied most of the time and I find myself hardly watching TV now. It's in a separate room. I'm thinkng about moving the TV into the same room with my computer and hooking up a splitter to it so I can have TV and internet together.

I pay $44/month ($39.95 before taxes) for my cable television. Time Warner cable internet was just to bloody expensive for me to deal with. They had this special for six months but after that the bill goes up substantially. That's why I stuck with DSL which is cheaper.. and I have been able to get it for two years at $26.95 because they extended their first year offer for another year for me.

If I had DSL service here--I'm all on it because it is tons cheaper. I even had MCI telemarketer calling me about their long distance service and wandered off topic a bit and started talking about hooking up DSL to my resident line. I told them Verizon and SBC don't have DSL support in my area so why should MCI? THey did a check anyways and sure enough, they cannot set up DSL in my area either. What a dummy. That guy probably thought I was trying to avoid the potential of setting up a DSL account with them. I've already looked into most companies providing DSL service and unforutnately, zilch. Verizon said that they were implementing a phase now where they plan to extend their range of DSL service. They're currently upgrading backbones and to residential lines (I think) to fiber optics. That should break the limitations on distance soon.

Avoid MCI like the plague. SBC should be extending DSL support pretty soon.. I heard they were making expansions to their services. DSL does have the problem with distance but it is far more effective then cable.

ardy89 said:
Dsl all the way, I dont think us brits can get cable!!

Yes we can. Haven't you heard of Blueyonder (my ISP; they're really fantastic)?

BT Yahoo! is ADSL, whereas Blueyonder is cable. Blueyonder is a service provided by Telewest Broadband in case you didn't know.

Back
Top Bottom