What is the hardest laptop to open

rowcon123

Daemon Poster
Hi guys just thought I would start a post on whats the hardest laptop to totally remove every part and have it separate on a table :) enjoy

The hardest one for me is the dell studio 1558

I couldnt tell you.

I've found most problems with a laptop aren't worth taking it apart to fix.
With the exception of Keyboards, Touchpads, Hardrives and RAM maybe wireless card the rest is usually all soldered / integrated into the motherboard so it;s not worth taking it apart?

On top of what ssc456 said regarding problems worth taking a laptop apart for, I've sometimes found it necessary to take a laptop apart to clean it since often there is lint and dust clogging the fan shroud, ducting and heat sink fins.

I haven't found any that are particularly hard to take apart or particularly easy. It's just a PITA to find all the little screws that must be removed (then replaced when re-assembling).

Lenovo Yoga Ultrabook. There's an extra slot for a secondary SSD so I took it apart. Weird construction, that one...

Old Twinheads, very tough, very difficult. :)

I got an interesting story for it, too: eventually I gave up, took it to Pantip Plaza in Bangkok (basically a place that sells assorted computer parts). Found a shop that was willing to prise it open with a metal bar.

After working on the laptop, the guy who opened and fixed the beast asked, not without uncertainty, "Are you sure about this?"

"Yes, do it." I said, "It's the only way."

He nodded, then poured a grey, thick liquid -- the Thai equivalent of Testors cement into the lid and hinge, which was broken in the battle.

Then I hit the power button. A faint grey signal. The beast came back to life.

BTW, Twinhead later on decided back out the personal laptop market, which grew to be very competitive in the 90s, and guess what? -- they went into making rugged computers for the military. Must say I wasn't the least bit surprised. :D

I left mine in the basement in my house in Bangkok, which unfortunately suffered the 2011 flood and old age, in general (I bought it in '92). But it is still operable, except for one bad H key!

Just came back to add a little funny.

There is no job that is impossible when you apply liberal amounts of high explosives.

Back
Top Bottom